FOR COMMON MODE CURRENT SUPPRESSION.
IMPEDANCE RATIO 1:1

STEP 1 of 3
View attachment 1326

STEP 2 of 3:
View attachment 1327

STEP 3 of 3
View attachment 1328

Looks great. Did you run any tests on it? I think I remember that one from earlier in the thread, or did you just make it?

It's a perfect day to go up to the roof today, but I'm not going to wrestle with the antenna mast until the new coax arrives. Then I'll change the coax and decide which antenna to put in that spot, maybe the dipole with balun as it's the newest one that hasn't been on the roof yet.

Last edited:

ab cd

Looks great. Did you run any tests on it?
Yes, few minutes ago I put it on the Launch Pad (in Toronto, not in Kennedy Space Center :D), took & posted a photo as well.

In the photo of Launch Pad, if the Dipole is removed, then remaining Sleeve assebmbly looks like an old Cannon or Bazooka gun...aiming right at the enemy.:D

I think I remember that one from earlier in the thread, or did you just make it?
I made it long ago, originally as Cantenna to see the effect of reducing the diameter. The connections were reversed, i.e. where the antenna is connected now, I have connected feed coax, and where feed coax is connected now, I connected antenna (i.e. inserted the whip) and the sleeve was in vertical position, with pipe cap & whip at top.

Later I used it with CoCo as decoupling sleeve (bazooka balun). Connections were same as now, with the difference was that CoCo was connected where now Dipole is connected, and the assembly (CoCo + Bazooka ) were vertical, end cap was at bottom, and feed cable arrived from bottom to end cap.

Last edited:

jepolch

Yes, few minutes ago I put it on the Launch Pad (in Toronto, not in Seattle :D), took & posted a photo as well.

In the photo of Launch Pad, if the Dipole is removed, then remaining Sleeve assebmbly looks like an old Cannon or Bazooka gun...aiming right at the enemy.:D

I made it long ago, originally as Cantenna to see the effect of reducing the diameter. The connections were reversed, i.e. where the antenna is connected now, I have connected feed coax, and where feed coax is connected now, I connected antenna (i.e. inserted the whip) and the sleeve was in vertical position, with pipe cap & whip at top.

Later I used it with CoCo as decoupling sleeve (bazooka balun). Connections were same as now, with the difference was that CoCo was connected where now Dipole is connected, and the assembly (CoCo + Bazooka ) were vertical, end cap was at bottom, and feed cable arrived from bottom to end cap.
Yup, it does look like a bazooka. :) So how did it perform compared to the dipole without the sleeve? Any noticeable improvement?

ab cd

Yup, it does look like a bazooka. :) So how did it perform compared to the dipole without the sleeve? Any noticeable improvement?
It is too early to say anything, only half an hour on trial. Let us wait for 24 hrs to complete.

Then I will remove the Bazooka & run raw dipole for another 24 hrs to be able to compare.

jepolch

When I put the cantenna on the roof the other day I had a idea to prevent water collecting in the top, but it was too late as it was already on the mast. But for anyone who is putting one outside, here are a couple of ideas I had that don't involve making a plastic dome for it. I'm borrowing ab cd's graphic for this. ;)

cantenna plan.png

casibari

Greetings all,

After digesting as much as I possibly can. I was able to make 2 DIY antenna's. One 6 element coco with 1/2 wavelength whip and Pepsi Cantenna. Got my USB Dongle a few days ago. So yesterday was making and testing both antenna's indoor. They worked ok... better then the stock antenna:). I'm new to this and in my haste didn't capture my indoor results. Today I finally Mounted both outside for further testing . I'll post some pics of the antenna's and how I mounted them. I'll post the results in a few days later.
Thanks and DFTBA :cool:

IMG_0159.JPG
IMG_0165.JPG
IMG_0168.JPG
IMG_0169.JPG

DougJohnson

What kind of difference did it make relative to the bare CoCo?
Thanks,
Doug

xforce30164

Did some more work on trying to get the basics of my idea working, let me know what you guys think!

click here

ps, if you are interested in sharing your dump1090/raspberrypi-data drop me a pm and I'll explain what you have to do to make it work.
(involves some minor port forwarding, and adding my domain (dump1090.ayadex.com) to the allow-cross-domain thing in lighttpd)

jepolch

Greetings all,

After digesting as much as I possibly can. I was able to make 2 DIY antenna's. One 6 element coco with 1/2 wavelength whip and Pepsi Cantenna. Got my USB Dongle a few days ago. So yesterday was making and testing both antenna's indoor. They worked ok... better then the stock antenna:). I'm new to this and in my haste didn't capture my indoor results. Today I finally Mounted both outside for further testing . I'll post some pics of the antenna's and how I mounted them. I'll post the results in a few days later.

View attachment 1330 View attachment 1331 View attachment 1332 View attachment 1333
Good work! Welcome and join in the discussion. :)

jepolch

Did some more work on trying to get the basics of my idea working, let me know what you guys think!

click here

ps, if you are interested in sharing your dump1090/raspberrypi-data drop me a pm and I'll explain what you have to do to make it work.
(involves some minor port forwarding, and adding my domain (dump1090.ayadex.com) to the allow-cross-domain thing in lighttpd)
Very nice! Good job. I like it. ;)

ab cd

Greetings all,

View attachment 1330 View attachment 1331 View attachment 1332 View attachment 1333
Welcome aboard
Well done! Waiting for results of your two antennas

Last edited:

ab cd

click here

EXCELLENT !

trigger

When I put the cantenna on the roof the other day I had a idea to prevent water collecting in the top, but it was too late as it was already on the mast. But for anyone who is putting one outside, here are a couple of ideas I had that don't involve making a plastic dome for it. I'm borrowing ab cd's graphic for this. ;)
I just flattened the base using a piece of wood. Very easy to do as it is aluminium. The connector still needs a smear of silicone though.

trigger

A question for ab cd I think.
I've been reading about Yagis and dipoles :eek: For vertically polarised signals the antennas have an "up" and a "down" ie the core is to be attached to the element which points up. What is the theory behind this? I've modelled a Yagi with 4nec2 and can't see what difference the orientation has.

xforce30164

Had some spare time this morning, so I made a quick mock-up of my directional yagi motion rig thing, looks quite nice, reception is not jet optimal, but I'll have to tune yagi elements for that i guess

IMG_20150316_123705_1426505871366.jpg

Edit: here a nice combined view with virtual radar for both receivers:
combined.png

Right know I'm thinking of ways to combine the data from both receivers in a different way so I can use it on my server-hosted control center, but anyone knows if it is possible to host VRS on a web server/host?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.