ADS-B DIY Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

jepolch

Greetings, I'm done testing the Cantenna. Well I have to say it's looks promising for me...way better the stock. I'm gonna go connect the dongle to the CoCo now. For now need to get me the materials to make me a spider now.:D
See ya and DFTBA :cool:

Edit: the circles are 50nm each.
Very nice work there and you have an awesome location! :D

bramj

If it is in a more sustainable/releasable way I will. for now I'm trying several methods of grabbing the data/displaying the maps.

one way is that I just display the dump1090 generated html in a html frame.
the other way I'm using right now to combine the data uses another copy of the dump1090 html files and instead of alling the remote urls of the raspberry pi's it calls a phpscript for the json data.

I'm still changing lots of things and testing it. but I'll definately release the code when I got it in a more stable version. :D

edit: some more military activity :p
View attachment 1341

some more
Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 15.58.45.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 15.56.11.png

Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 16.01.11.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 16.00.53.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 15.58.45.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 15.56.11.png

xforce30164

some more ( ... snip ... )

Nice!

Btw, do you know that you can configure the table so it shows the military/civil column? Also, I can't seem to get my plane-type and operator images working, how did you do that?
(to edit the list, go to options, click the "lock" icon to unlock the list. then select the entry tou want to add, press add and lock the list again. If you want to change to order of the columns, unlock the list and click the buttons on the far right of each entry for the list to move it up or down).
list_1.png
list_2.png

for the curious ones, here is a screenshot of the json-output that is generated by the php-code when combining multiple receiver streams:
combined json.png

Last edited:

jepolch

Very nice. I got the same terminal block that you did. I cut the screws into individual sections, though. I found that once the terminal was on the antenna wire there was no room in the hole to fit the coax element. Also, it seems to me that when you do put the coax into the hole with the antenna wire the area making contact is pretty big, like may 2-3 mm. So how do you figure the right spot to make the connection?

jepolch

I got the new coax today, but it came late in the afternoon and it was TOO HOT to go up to the roof! :eek: Yes, winter seems to be over. All those times I went up to the roof when it was in the 30's and 40's F and today it was 80 F! It's supposed to be cooler the rest of the week, though.

I've been thinking about which antenna to put up with the new coax and I figure the best test would be the spider I made identical to the one that's up there now. Both will have new coax, 20 db amp, equivalent power supply. They should be equal, right? We'll see... :D

ETA: Forgot to mention - I finally put in a grounding block today! I have been wanting to do that since day one. I haven't seen any difference in reception, but hopefully the receiver is hearing less static and having an easier time decoding messages.

Last edited:

jepolch

Nice!

Btw, do you know that you can configure the table so it shows the military/civil column? Also, I can't seem to get my plane-type and operator images working, how did you do that?
(to edit the list, go to options, click the "lock" icon to unlock the list. then select the entry tou want to add, press add and lock the list again. If you want to change to order of the columns, unlock the list and click the buttons on the far right of each entry for the list to move it up or down).
View attachment 1346 View attachment 1347

for the curious ones, here is a screenshot of the json-output that is generated by the php-code when combining multiple receiver streams:
View attachment 1348
Thanks for the tip! I never messed with those lists before. I just now added the distance column and sorted by distance (descending). Very cool! :) The more I use VRS the more I am impressed with it. It's a great program.

xforce30164

You have to create directory's in de root folder of VRS.
See screenshot.

I have made the directories and run the download data from the menu in the program but there are still no pictures, do they get downloaded over time or do I have to download the data manually from site?

Edit: it's quite busy at Schiphol, you can see the planes fly in the holding patterns :)
holding.png

Edit2: This plane is even being redirected to Eindhoven Airport it seems
diverted.png

Edit3: jup, pretty busy
delays.png

Last edited:

jepolch

I have made the directories and run the download data from the menu in the program but there are still no pictures, do they get downloaded over time or do I have to download the data manually from site?

Edit: it's quite busy at Schiphol, you can see the planes fly in the holding patterns :)
View attachment 1355

Edit2: This plane is even being redirected to Eindhoven Airport it seems
View attachment 1356

Edit3: jup, pretty busy
View attachment 1357
Here's a shot of my setup. Of course, besides making the directories you have to have the graphics in them. I believe they came with the SBS-Resources download.

Attachments

• vrs.png
    vrs.png
    184.9 KB · Views: 37

bramj

Very nice. I got the same terminal block that you did. I cut the screws into individual sections, though. I found that once the terminal was on the antenna wire there was no room in the hole to fit the coax element. Also, it seems to me that when you do put the coax into the hole with the antenna wire the area making contact is pretty big, like may 2-3 mm. So how do you figure the right spot to make the connection?

I put the franklin in front off the window and watch the megs/sec-rate finding the the highest rate , while moving the terminal, trial and error :)

xforce30164

i build a weird antenna, but it performs quite nice for what it is. around 134msg/sec and tracking 17 planes right now, had higher peaks. It basically consists of two dipoles at opposite ends of a beam and one of them is turned 90 degrees clockwise compared to the other one and is a slightly different type of dipole.
custom_antenna.png

image of antenna is here

DougJohnson

Well, the Pawsey stub need not be a 1/4 wavelength piece of coax. A 1/4 wavelength piece of wire can do the same job.
After soldering/shorting core & coax at both ends of stub piece, electrically the 1/4 piece of coax is no more a coax, it turns into a 1/4 wavelength piece of wire with diameter of braid.

I assume we would need to allow for the velocity in both cases. The coax I am using is about .69 and bare copper is .95. So I should adjust the lengths accordingly?
-- Doug

jepolch

i build a weird antenna, but it performs quite nice for what it is. around 134msg/sec and tracking 17 planes right now, had higher peaks. It basically consists of two dipoles at opposite ends of a beam and one of them is turned 90 degrees clockwise compared to the other one and is a slightly different type of dipole.
View attachment 1365

image of antenna is here
Cool! I have thought of experimenting with non-standard configurations. What the heck? It can't hurt to try. Great inventors didn't succeed by just repeating the same experiments. You might just discover the magic bullet? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.