ADS-B DIY Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

ab cd

I got an email from Mark @ Pinkfroot with info about the new (beta) PlaneFinder client that does not use node.js. It's supposed to use a lot less CPU. I'm going to give it a try. http://forum.planefinder.net/threads/new-plane-finder-sharing-client-beta-thread.253/
I checked my email, found following email arrived 2 hrs ago. I am not at home, but will try to install from my phone using SSH through phone's data network / internet:

To: <abcd567@hotmail.com>
Subject: New Plane Finder Client
Date: Fri 4/10/15 9:42 AM
Hi,
We have of course been listening to you!!
We have just posted this...
http://forum.planefinder.net/threads/new-plane-finder-sharing-client-beta-thread.253/
I wanted to tell you first!
Please can you try this out.
Thank you as always for your great help and support.

Best regards,
Mark Daniels
pinkfroot.com

Last edited:

jepolch

@jepolch:
@xforce:
How to uninstall a program from RPi?

I want to remove node.js & old PFClient before installing the new one.
I just shut down node (sudo /etc/init.d/pfstart.sh stop) and renamed pfstart.sh to ~pfstart.sh and then installed the new client. I am not worried about leaving node.js on the Pi as I have lots of space left on the microSD card.

ab cd

I just shut down node (sudo /etc/init.d/pfstart.sh stop) and renamed pfstart.sh to ~pfstart.sh and then installed the new client. I am not worried about leaving node.js on the Pi as I have lots of space left on the microSD card.
I prefer a clean install. I will format microSD Card and install Raspbian Wheezy + dump1090-mutability + piaware data client + fr24 data client + new pf client!

jepolch

I went upon the roof today and swapped out the "worse" spider with my original conetenna. The whip of the conetenna is <1 mm coax center core, length 69 mm. It's underperforming the spider by about 18%. Whatever antenna I put in that spot underperforms the spider by the same amount! They both have the identical coax, amp, etc. Both running the same version of dump1090-mut on a Pi B+. It might be the difference in the length of the coax, but if that's the case, the difference is very small, maybe inches. o_O

Attachments

Lee Armstrong

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder why your aircraft icons look like B-52's and mine looks like Cessna's?
Somehow I think he is running a slightly older version of the client, time to update bramj

Looks like you may have typed what was in the screenshots. Not the documentation ;-)

Last edited:

ab cd

Still not reached home, but succeeded in installing pfclient beta by SSH from my phone, using phone's data network.

To configure, I had to open port 30053 in my router's firewall. Did this also from my phone, this time using Google's "Remote Desktop" to access my desktop, then from desktop accessed router, and in router's firewall, opened port 30053 for RPi, then configured pfclient.

Beautiful! Superb! Well done Planefinder. Congratulations Lee & Mark.

Screenshots from my phone:

Screenshot_2015-04-10-17-17-49.png

Screenshot_2015-04-10-17-16-17.png

xforce30164

Just curious how a 1/4 wave on top would do as opposed to the 138mm whip portion.. this I would think would "balance" out the initial 68 mm feed...

Jim
Hey Jim, that sounds like a nice Idea, I Might try and make one with that configuration. Though it would mean that the total antenna would become exactly 1 wavelength long. IIRC, for ground-plane antennas that is not very good for the performance as the signal would balance itself out/negate itself between the top 1/2L of the active radial and the lower 1/2L of the active radial, but I could be wrong though, would love to see a simulation from @ab cd :)

Status
Not open for further replies.