ADS-B DIY Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

ab cd

I have found a way to solve the crash of dump1090-mutability on RPi Model2 - Formatting & Fresh Install.
Not of software, but of hardware.
I will throw the trouble giving RPi2 in trash can (=formatting) & purchase a new one (= fresh install).
Better to lose CAN $45 than to lose my head.

Last edited:

jepolch

I have found a way to solve the crash of dump1090-mutability on RPi Model2 - Formatting & Fresh Install.
I will throw the trouble giving RPi2 in trash can (=formatting) & purchase a new one (= fresh install).
I don't disagree with you about buying a new one so you can get on with your life, but I wouldn't throw out the first one. I would go directly to the manufacturer and complain about it. You're not getting any satisfaction from your "supplier". They should have given you a refund or exchange.

Edited to add: That's why I buy most of my stuff from Amazon. YOU decide what is defective and return it to Amazon at THEIR expense and get either a refund or exchange - your choice.

kucengemok

can't be repaired at all?

ab cd

I don't disagree with you about buying a new one so you can get on with your life, but I wouldn't throw out the first one. I would go directly to the manufacturer and complain about it. You're not getting any satisfaction from your "supplier". They should have given you a refund or exchange.

Edited to add: That's why I buy most of my stuff from Amazon. YOU decide what is defective and return it to Amazon at THEIR expense and get either a refund or exchange - your choice.
Since it is very unlikely that they will discover the problem which is intermittent & specific to one software, there is no point sending them the RPi, then getting same RPi back again, and pay two way shipment charges also.
Below is the reply of supplier and my initial complaint.

Hello,
What software are you referring to?
Please be aware the B+ and Pi2 have different CPU architecture and the OS (and software) you are running must support new CPU.
Also, please keep in mind that not all micro SD cards work with Raspberry Pi.
If your Pi is faulty (which happens very rarely) we can do an exchange/refund - no problem. We will also pay for sending Pi back to us. However, if after testing we do not discover/reproduce the problem we would have to ship it back to you and pass the shipping cost to you. So please, do your research and if you are confident the Pi is faulty - let us know and we will send you return label.
Best regards

>>On 24/03/2015 4:36 PM, xxxxx wrote:
>>The RPi Model 2 + power supply + case, which I purchased from you about 3 weeks ago (Order: #xxxxxx) keeps on killing some of the software. Often when I give >>reboot command, it shutdowns, but does not restart. I tried following:
>>1. Formatted microSD card & reinstalled the software - problem remains
>>2. I purchased a new microSD card, formatted it and installed software -problem remains
>>3. I have a RPi B+ (purchased from you in February 2015 and working perfectly well. I swapped the microSD cards of RPi B+ and Model2 : B+ continued to work ok,
>>Model2 continued to crash.

>>Above actions have established that the RPi Model2 is defective.

giacomo1989

I am sure it is hardware problem, that is why I wrote to the spplier. Unfortunately there are two things in this case which make it very difficult to pinpoint the cause
1) This crash is intermittent. Dump1090-mutability runs ok for 2 to 3 days then dies silently. Logs simply dont show what caused this.
2) The problem is specific to just one software.

Oliver Jowett has seen all the logs, and thinks nothing wrong with software, and it is most likely hardware issue. The RPi supplier thinks the other way round :mad:

Your proposal is good. I will replace mutability by malcom robson and see what happens.

Does it happen only to one of yours Rpi2?

giacomo1989

love.png

Love as seen on PlaneFinder over Malta (South of Italy) due to a wedding at 21:15 GMT+2 :)

giacomo1989

I have only one Rpi2. Other one is RPi B+
Dump1090-mut dies only on Rpi2.

Ok. Try to move it on a different location, also try to change the power supply ( switch them) .

You can also try to shield it using some plastic foil and the aluminium foil around it to avoid shorts :)

ab cd

I
Ok. Try to move it on a different location, also try to change the power supply ( switch them) .

You can also try to shield it using some plastic foil and the aluminium foil around it to avoid shorts :)
Have tried all above, the cancer is not cured.

giacomo1989

[email protected] ~ $ memtest
-bash: memtest: command not found

[email protected] ~ $ cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal: 949328 kB MemFree: 781956 kB
MemAvailable: 859228 kB Buffers: 21240 kB
Cached: 75204 kB
SwapCached: 0 kB Active: 92676 kB
Inactive: 44648 kB
Active(anon): 41060 kB Inactive(anon): 1704 kB
Active(file): 51616 kB
Inactive(file): 42944 kB
Unevictable: 0 kB
Mlocked: 0 kB
SwapTotal: 102396 kB
SwapFree: 102396 kB
Dirty: 28 kB
Writeback: 0 kB
AnonPages: 40880 kB
Mapped: 38544 kB
Shmem: 1884 kB
Slab: 13508 kB
SReclaimable: 6380 kB
SUnreclaim: 7128 kB
KernelStack: 1664 kB
PageTables: 1708 kB
NFS_Unstable: 0 kB
Bounce: 0 kB
WritebackTmp: 0 kB
CommitLimit: 577060 kB
Committed_AS: 460624 kB
VmallocTotal: 1105920 kB
VmallocUsed: 1188 kB
VmallocChunk: 881708 kB
[email protected] ~ $

Try this and see if they fail
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=105605

xforce30164

Lets get back to the title of this thread "ADS-B DIY Antenna". Has any one (other than @xforce30164: & @caius: ) , who has a simple Spider and has also built a Franko-Spider and compared the performance of the two?
Not yet, will try to do later on but quite busy this week, yesterday was GTA-day (over 17 hours of gameplay in one day), and I do have some exams coming up as well, but I'll see what I can do. my feelings/short observations do seem to indicate that the franko-spider does perform better than the normal spider.

xforce30164

@xforce30164: One thing I noticed: The max range graph shows the same data on each page (day, week, month, year). Did I neglect to do something? I'll go back and re-read your post.
probably not, I just realized I didn't add the javascript to switch the range graph!

old javascript codein the index.html file
Code:
            var base_name = "dump1090-rpi";

function switchView(time_name){
                $("#rate").attr("src", base_name + "-rate-" + time_name + ".png");
                $("#acs").attr("src", base_name + "-acs-" + time_name + ".png");
                $("#cpu").attr("src", base_name + "-cpu-" + time_name + ".png");
                $("#tracks").attr("src", base_name + "-tracks-" + time_name + ".png");
            }

change that to:
Code:
            var base_name = "dump1090-rpi";

function switchView(time_name){
                $("#rate").attr("src", base_name + "-rate-" + time_name + ".png");
                $("#acs").attr("src", base_name + "-acs-" + time_name + ".png");
                $("#cpu").attr("src", base_name + "-cpu-" + time_name + ".png");
                $("#tracks").attr("src", base_name + "-tracks-" + time_name + ".png");
                $("#range").attr("src", base_name + "-range-" + time_name + ".png");
            }

and that should update the range graph as well

ETA:
you can really see the night-time dip/decrease in flights =]
nighttime.png

RoundCube

The easiest way to get out of software problem is: Format drive ->Fresh Install. :D
I have learned this in days of Win 95, Win98 & Win XP, when Anti Virus Protection was not very strong and Hackers were. I will simply copy my data on Floppies, format the Hard Drive, and reinstall Windows & all. Took few hour's time, but was better than breaking my head to find out & fix the problem. :D

Now antiviruses are are weaker and even mac is under attack - http://macsecurity.net/view/89/

xforce30164

currently working on a revised installation script which includes updating for webui/graph generations script as well!

ETA: Also quick fix/mashdown to get basic table view for the graphs:

http://dump1090.ayadex.com/graphs/index.php?time=24h

you can use 24h, 7d, 30d and 365d as valid values for time ;)

ETA2: version 2.0 of installation script is available
- fancier installation script, streamlined installation process somewhat. (crontab automated)
- updater script added, you can now update webui/graph generation/both directly from live/volatile versions hosted on my webserver. if it doesnt work you also have a rollback function.
if you want to use this/switch to this you can do the following:

Installation

Situation 1 - clean install/not installed dump-tools with my other script before.

change to home directory, wget the file from the server, make it executable and sudo-run it.

Code:
cd ~
wget http://raspi.ayadex.com/volatile/web_installer.sh
sudo chmod +x web_installer.sh
sudo ./web_installer.sh "dump-tools"

this should start the installation process, printing some information along the way.
if it goes according to plan it will ask you to check if the graphs are showing/working, so go to your browser and check if that is the case.

if it is, enable automatic graph generation by running
Code:
cd /home/pi/dump1090-tools
sudo ./install.sh "crontab"
that's it for installation!

Situation 2 - dirty installation/installed with my previous installation script
change to home directory, wget the file from the server, make it executable and sudo-run it.

Code:
cd ~
wget http://raspi.ayadex.com/volatile/web_installer.sh
sudo chmod +x web_installer.sh
sudo ./web_installer.sh "dump-tools" "remove-old"

this will first remove your old installation. but save the index.html, collectd.conf and make-graphs.sh file and store them in a directory called /dump-tools-old so you can resuse them/manually change the new versions to reflect your own additions.

there is no need to run the crontab part of the script as you already have the changed crontab pointing to the make-graphs.sh script which is still in the same location so that should still function.

Updating/Reverting:
change to your home directory, then to dump-tools and run the update.sh script.

updating webUI
Code:
cd /home/pi/dump-tools
sudo ./update.sh "webui"

updating graph generation
Code:
cd /home/pi/dump-tools
sudo ./update.sh "graphs"

updating both webUI and graphs
Code:
cd /home/pi/dump-tools
sudo ./update.sh "all"

reverting webUI
Code:
cd /home/pi/dump-tools
sudo ./update.sh "webui" "revert"

reverting graph generation
Code:
cd /home/pi/dump-tools
sudo ./update.sh "graphs" "revert"

reverting both webUI and graphs
Code:
cd /home/pi/dump-tools
sudo ./update.sh "all" "revert"

Last edited:

xforce30164

added temperature graph, (both imperial and metric pre-coded into the make-graphs.sh file, just change the comment on the line to enable the imperial or the metric graph ;)
(inside common_graphs())
Code:
metric_temp_graph /var/www/collectd/table-$2-core_temp-$4.png /var/lib/collectd/rrd/$1/table-$2 "$3" "$4" "$5"
#imperial_temp_graph /var/www/collectd/table-$2-core_temp-$4.png /var/lib/collectd/rrd/$1/table-$2 "$3" "$4" "$5"
upload_2015-4-15_14-20-0.png

Status
Not open for further replies.