ADS-B DIY Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

ab cd

I would suggest you start smaller threads for these. It is hard to locate information in a thread like this.
We need an ADS-B wiki to collect all the various bits of information together in one place.
I fully agree. This thread has grown too big, and contains many topics, randomly mixed. It is very difficult to find relevant posts on any particular issue withouth digging through a large number of pages. A newcomer has to sniff through 150 pages+ / 3000 posts+ to find something of his/her interest.

ab cd

I would suggest spinning off some new threads, I can always close/lock this one if people would like
Spinng off new rhreads is a viable solution. Recently on suggestion of various members, @xforce30164: spinned off new thred for dump1090-mut rrd tools "collected". Couple of months ago I spinned off two threads, one for "3 easy antennas", and other for "RPi: installation of Raspbian, dump1090 & pfclient".

I feel that closing/locking this thread is not necessary. Once new threads are spinned off, members will mostly post in new threads, and over growth of this thread will slow down.

ab cd

Could this problem be solved by constructing the franko from insulated wire baring only the tap points on the tuning stub.
Plastic insulation is substantially thick, and will nearly bridge the gap. This may affect velocity factor, though should not be a big problem (vf >0.95).

Using enamelled wire (called magnet wire in north america), which is used for winding motors & transformer coils, as well as HF & VHF antenna tuning coils may be a better option.
EDIT:
Enamelled Copper Wire / Magnet Copper Wire - costly!
UK size 14 SWG (2 mm dia) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370925573786
US Size 12 AWG (2 mm dia) http://www.ebay.com/itm/251135574936

Last edited:

TomW

I would suggest spinning off some new threads, I can always close/lock this one if people would like
Speaking as one who read the entire thread in the past few days, I think locking this one and spinning off some specific threads would be great. Some moderation to keep threads on topic would be a great help too.
Just my two cents worth...

Speaking as one who read the entire thread in the past few days, I think locking this one and spinning off some specific threads would be great. Some moderation to keep threads on topic would be a great help too.
Just my two cents worth...

Hi Tom,
Welcome.
For the record, I too have been scanning the past pages for around an hour before I gave up looking for something I read about range rings in Dump1090 Mutability.
I feel your pain.
Thankfully long time member and contributor ab cd has saved the day, for me anyway and his write up on how to do this task has been added to the correct thread. Now it will be easy to find in future.
There is some really great stuff in this thread on antennas and a multitude of other things I suppose we are all guilty of going off on a tangent sometimes.
There are some really gifted and very technically able members checking in regularly on this forum to help you Tom with any questions you may have of that Im sure.
Nice to have the input of someone new who was looking for something and ended up looking at everything.

Just to add on the antenna subject I tried a diplexer today , wired as in Caius photo of his setup. Trigger gave me the source on ebay..Thanks Guys.
After a few hrs testing,It has made a small improvement but not much, bit like jepolch found with his. I had to make a rush job f connector patch lead to insert it into the system, that may be an issue. I will make good with the patch lead rather poor connections , one brand new f connector I struggled with only to discover it had no thread cut into its mating surface nut ! A factory reject . My luck that I end up with it in my new bag of 10 pcs and that one was the one I selected to make the quick patch !
However it will be interesting to try diplexer with an amp (when it arrives).

The f connector issue shown, good ones too with an internal grommet sealing ring.
No good though with a missing internal thread ! :confused:

f connectors.jpg

Last edited:

xforce30164

Hey guys, back again, busy night and day today. (still not completely done though, tonight more partying) as it is Kings-day here in the netherlands. (Today is the birthday of the king so we all are free and big parties everywhere)
I'll look into spinning another thread off for my web-ui modifications of dump1090-mutability. may take a bit of fiddling to get it all working/find my posts here and there. I'd further want to do some more code-cleanup and fix my version installer, but I'll see what I can do. though I would suggest not closing this thread, but keep the contents more antenna-related and spin-off the software talk ;)

@juha I'm the "highscores" guy :p. drop me a pm if you can't wait untill I've spun off the new thread for my web-interface modifications, otherwise I'll post a link in this thread pointing to the other thread i'll make ;)

xforce30164

Thanks! That is exactly how I was doing it. Two of the radials snapped (the core wire) when I was bending them down. They actually made a snap sound when they broke, like the wire wasn't flexible!

Edit: Oh wait. I just read your instructions more carefully. I didn't do it that way. I pushed the radial straight in, then bent it 90 degrees while it was pushed in. I'm still surprised they snapped, though.
Otherwise, if the core wires still snap, use something like a vice/pliers and carefully heat the area where you want to bend the wire. (either using a lighter or a paint-blower-gun (hot-air gun). but be careful not to melt the insulation. I'm not sure how good molten plastic/insulation chemical thingymagics are for your health ;)

xforce30164

Ok, I'm thinking about spider construction. My plan is to make a copper disk (washer) from 1/8" copper plate with the od of the washer about 2 inches. I'll solder the radials to the washer and rivet the washer to the N bulkhead connector. My question is - should the radial's length be measured from the center of the whip (center of the circle) or from where they exit the disk?
Thanks in advance.
I've measured the length from the point where they bend downwards, and from where they leave the washer. not seen very big difference in performance, I might go and make some more spiders to compare/test measured from different points and see if it really makes a difference.
(@others Would maybe be a nice idea to to make a table in the ADS-B wiki/antenna section of different antenna designs and test results with location info, average traffic etc?)

juha

@juha I'm the "highscores" guy :p. drop me a pm if you can't wait untill I've spun off the new thread for my web-interface modifications, otherwise I'll post a link in this thread pointing to the other thread i'll make ;)
Found already the old post by searching "gmap.html" in the forum. I have the highscores (and colored range circles) running :)
Thanks to you for such a great job for collectd/dump web mods!

xforce30164

Found already the old post by searching "gmap.html" in the forum. I have the highscores (and colored range circles) running :)
Thanks to you for such a great job for collectd/dump web mods!
Thanks =D, I'll still spin-off the mods into a separate thread, and clean up the code. (and hopefully sometime soon finish my modular/complete rewrite/rebuild of the web-ui, which should make it a lot easier to add/enable/disable modules and drag and drop them in the user interface/webpage etc.)

ab cd

Ok, I'm thinking about spider construction. My plan is to make a copper disk (washer) from 1/8" copper plate with the od of the washer about 2 inches. I'll solder the radials to the washer and rivet the washer to the N bulkhead connector. My question is - should the radial's length be measured from the center of the whip (center of the circle) or from where they exit the disk?
Thanks in advance.
Please see this thread for answer to your question:

THREE EASY ANTENNAS FOR BEGINNERS

jepolch

Ok, I'm thinking about spider construction. My plan is to make a disk (washer) from 1/8" copper plate with the od of the washer about 2 inches. I'll solder the radials to the washer and rivet the washer to the N bulkhead connector. My question is - should the radial's length be measured from the center of the whip (center of the circle) or from where they exit the disk?
Thanks in advance.
Like @ab cd said, everybody has their preferred way of doing it and the radials don't seem as critical as the whip. Here are some examples of antennas I've made and they all seem to work about as well. Something here should appeal to you. :)

Attachments

• Conetenna aluminum sm.jpg
    Conetenna aluminum sm.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 85
  • C&D cantenna.jpg
    C&D cantenna.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Purina Cantenna.jpg
    Purina Cantenna.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Cantenna 2.jpg
    Cantenna 2.jpg