ADS-B DIY Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Virtual Radar Server can superimpose range over google maps. This shows the overall range, but you can also add the range for different heights.

Where is VRS do I find this function??

View attachment 2016

ADSBscope can plot the maximum range on the chart, and SBSPlotter can give you an outline file that can be displayed in a variety of software.

Where in ADSBscope do I find this?

In VRS, make sure you have a location assigned to the receiver and then on the map page menu you should see a receiver range option. Select the range that you want to display and it will show the range plot.

In ADSBScope, just tick the maximum range option in the View menu. In both cases you will have to let them run for a while so that the maximum range plot can be built up.

Here's my comparison between inline amplifier and LNA4ALL range wise.
Same antenna and same SAT-diplexer as a "filter" in both.

Inline amplifier max range in south 138nm and in north 68nm
LNA4ALL max range in south 182nm and in north 113nm
Also with LNA4ALL I have almost doubled reported positions.

Hopefully I can move my feeder this weekend to another location where I can get antenna much higher and almost zero obstructions nearby. I'm pretty optimistic I can get better results then.

Wow, great antenna! Did you make it yourself or purchased it? If purchased, How many dB gain?

Your amplifier seems to work as an attenuator. This can happen if:
(1) Amp is wrongly connected i.e. the amplifier's port which is marked ANT/LNB/IN is connected to DVB-T, and the port marked RCVR/TV/OUT is connected to antenna. It should be the other way round.
(2) Amplifier is not getting DC Power, or getting a DC Voltage much below/above its rated value. Normally satellite amps are rated for 13V to 18V, but will work for 12V to 20V.
(3) The DC Polarity is reversed. Correct polarity is core=positive (+), braid=negative (-)
(4) The amplifier is defective.
(5) The power inserter is defective, or a piece of similar looking, but improper equipment (diplexer or splitter) is used as dc inserter.

Attenuation can also happen if the amplifier overloads the receiver, to the point where it can actually prevent any signal from being registered through the receiver.

ab cd

amplifier showing its worth, just picked up aircraft at 186.2 NM (344 KM) from eindhoven with my little spider :D
View attachment 2023
Last month, before my dump1090-mut started crashing, I have achieved range 271nm. My setup at that time was:
Cantenna->12ft /4m coax RG6->DVB-T dongle inserted directly into RPi->,15ft /5m RJ-45 ethernet cable from RPi to router. NO AMPLIFIER.

Screenshot_2015-05-15-15-46-35.png

Last edited:

ab cd

Another range plot, this one with Amplifier & long coax:

Cantenna ->15ft /5m coax RG6 -> AMPLIFIER & Power inserter -> 50ft/ 15m RG6 coax -> DVB-T dongle inserted directly into desktop.

cantenna+amp+50ft rg6 coax-vrs range plot.jpg

Last edited:

ab cd

@giacomo1989
@bramj
@xforce30164
It is a band-pass filter. It should have:
1) A Lower band of frequencies to be rejected (should have high attenuation)
2) A pass-band of frequencies to be passed (should have low attenuation)
3) An Upper band of frequencies to be rejected (should have high attenuation).

Hence:
Lower band = DC ~ 970 Mhz , attenuation 25 dB - Signal Rejected
Pass Band = 1075 to 1105 Mhz, attenuation 2.3 dB - Signal Passed
Upper Band = 1150 to 1300 Mhz, attenuation 25 dB - Signal Rejected

@giacomo1989
@bramj
@xforce30164
It is a band-pass filter. It should have:
1) A Lower band of frequencies to be rejected (should have high attenuation)
2) A pass-band of frequencies to be passed (should have low attenuation)
3) An Upper band of frequencies to be rejected (should have high attenuation).

Hence:
Lower band = DC ~ 970 Mhz , attenuation 25 dB - Signal Rejected
Pass Band = 1075 to 1105 Mhz, attenuation 2.3 dB - Signal Passed
Upper Band = 1150 to 1300 Mhz, attenuation 25 dB - Signal Rejected
"I can find anything wrong in datasheet" ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.