ADS-B DIY Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Hi guys

I know this is a bit off-topic...would an inline amp with a low end of 50 Mhz work for the VHF aviation band?

Happy holiday weekend to all Yanks

Todd

ab cd

2.5 inches.
Disc by Tom W.jpg

Your copper disc is almost same dia as a Cantenna bottom made from 12 US oz (355 ml) Pepsi/Coke/Beer can.

The 355 ml /12 US oz /12.5 Imperial oz drink can has a diameter of 2-5/8 inches (2.6 inches / 67 mm)

Note: in some European countries, the 330ml /11.2 US oz / 11.6 Imperial oz beverage can is standard. It has same dia as the 355 ml / 12 US oz / 12.5 Imperial oz beverage can, but it's height is slightly less.

330ml & 355 ml Pepsi cans. Same dia, different heights.
Pepsi.JPG.jpeg

Last edited:

ab cd

Hi guys

I know this is a bit off-topic...would an inline amp with a low end of 50 Mhz work for the VHF aviation band?

Happy holiday weekend to all Yanks

Todd
FM & AIR bands lie between TV VHF-Low (Band I chanel 2 to 4) and VHF-High (Band III chanel 5 to 12). In addition there is a third TV Band, the UHF (Bands IV & V Chanel 14 to 69)

TV boosters cover all the three TV Bands. They normally have frequency range 47 Mhz to 850 Mhz / 54 Mhz to 1000 Mhz, which includes FM (87mhz to 108mhz) and AIR (118 mhz to 135 mhz). However some tv boosters have built in "FM Trap" which blocks FM, and most likely also blocks adjuscent AIR band.

Since only a few models of tv boosters have FM Trap, you can try the one you have, and most likely it will boost FM & AIR bands as well. Good luck!

Last edited:

TomW

I was browsing for N-Connector, Panel Mount, Solder Pot, and came across many varieties. Don't know which one is most suitable for Spider. Please see drawings below.
Any suggestions which one to use?

View attachment 2122 View attachment 2123 View attachment 2125 View attachment 2124 View attachment 2126
My N bulkheads are essentially the same dimensions as the SO-239. I will have to go to a 14 gauge whip (SO-239 uses 12 gauge).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290821381858

2015-05-25 10.45.36.jpg 2015-05-25 10.45.46.jpg

bramj

my coax colinear failed :-( bad contacts, broken solder joints , so a new experiment building a brass-tube collinear
FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:

jepolch

The leaves are killing my reception. Each day the leaves are bigger and my reception goes down a little. During the winter I could track up to 160 aircraft at a time. Now on a good day I might get up to 120. I'm thinking about raising the antenna again, but I can't go much higher on the roof. I am thinking about changing the top half of the mast from 5 feet to 10 feet. I'm sure it would help a little, but I'm worried about the strain it would put on the base if it gets very windy.

ab cd

The leaves are killing my reception. Each day the leaves are bigger and my reception goes down a little. During the winter I could track up to 160 aircraft at a time. Now on a good day I might get up to 120. I'm thinking about raising the antenna again, but I can't go much higher on the roof. I am thinking about changing the top half of the mast from 5 feet to 10 feet. I'm sure it would help a little, but I'm worried about the strain it would put on the base if it gets very windy.
Antenna on tree top!

antenna-on-a-tree-1.jpg
antenna-on-a-tree-2.jpg

ab cd

Your & my situations are similar. My building blocks 180 degrees out of 360 degrees. I get a semi-circle instead of circular range. This is not the end of misery. There are several tall buildings around. These block signal and cause a spike like sharp dip in range curve. Worst is the 250 ft tall building across the street (about 60 ft away from my building), completely obstructing the view of Toronto airport CYYZ.

I used to boil & curse on this situation, but have now accepted it. Fate!

Status
Not open for further replies.