ADS-B DIY Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

jepolch

Your & my situations are similar. My building blocks 180 degrees out of 360 degrees. I get a semi-circle instead of circular range. This is not the end of misery. There are several tall buildings around. These block signal and cause a spike like sharp dip in range curve. Worst is the 250 ft tall building across the street (about 60 ft away from my building), completely obstructing the view of Toronto airport CYYZ.

I used to boil & curse on this situation, but have now accepted it. Fate!
Yeah, I'm coming to terms with the leaves. Not much I can do about them. Putting up a taller mast is a lot of work. I'm beginning to wish I had started this hobby in the summer, then I'd be thrilled how much my reception improved in the winter. :D

Todd

Hi all

In the home made power inserter above (by jepolch) is the terminal labelled antenna actually going to the output of the inline amp?

Thanks
Todd

ab cd

Hi all

In the home made power inserter above (by jepolch) is the terminal labelled antenna actually going to the output of the inline amp?

Thanks
Todd

Yes.

DC inserter connections:
Amplifier: To the terminal to which both the inductor (or coil) and capacitor are soldered.

Receiver: To the terminal to which only capacitor is soldered.

DC Adaptor: To the terminal to which only inductor (or coil) is soldered.

DSC02844R.JPG

Last edited:

jepolch

Hi all

Thanks
Todd
Yup. Connect your antenna feedline to the antenna connector. RF Out goes to the receiver.

ab cd

I started this thread exactly 2 years ago and this is still growing !!!!
Hi Mukundan

Thanks for starting this thread. This is the first time you have posted in this thread after starting it!

After you started this thread, I was the first one to post there. For quite some time I was the only one posting in this thread. Occasionally some one will make few posts and fade out. Later trigger (Dave) started to post regularly. In Nov 2014, about 1-1/2 years after start, this thread had only 18 pages. Then in Nov 2014 giacomo1989, and jepolch joined this thread and started posting regularly.

Later in begening of 2015 others such as Sjacket99, garylovesbeer, xforce30164, radiostationx, bramj, TomW, and many others (forgive me if I forgot to mention their names) joined this thread and started posting, and as a result in a small span of time, this thread grew exponentially to 176 pages as it is today!

I am pleased to see your first & only post after starting the thread.

ab cd

Last edited:

jepolch

Hi Mukundan

Thanks for starting this thread. This is the first time you have posted in this thread after starting it!

After you started this thread, I was the first one to post there. For quite some time I was the only one posting in this thread. Occasionally some one will make few posts and fade out. Later trigger (Dave) started to post regularly. In Nov 2014, about 1-1/2 years after start, this thread had only 18 pages. Then in Nov 2014 giacomo1989, and jepolch joined this thread and started posting regularly.

Later in begening of 2015 others such as Sjacket99, garylovesbeer, xforce30164, radiostationx, bramj, TomW, and many others (forgive me if I forgot to mention their names) joined this thread and started posting, and as a result in a small span of time, this thread grew exponentially to 176 pages as it is today!

I am pleased to see your first & only post after starting the thread.

ab cd
@caius and @obj also have made valuable contributions. :D

ab cd

If someone has Piaware Image installed, and wants to install and run collectd graphs,
(1) Does he need to install dump1090-mutability, or the already installed version of dump1090 is enough to install & run collectd rrd tools graphs?
(2) If dump1090-mutability installation on Piaware Image is necessary to run collectd, has anything to be done to stop/remove already installed dump1090?

Todd

Hi All

I've been working with Oliver on this, but was wondering if anybody here could help.

I installed dump978 on my Mac...my RPi seems to be dead.

I have a spider cut for 978, and an in-line amp going to my new RTL dongle. Testing the new dongle on SDRSharp (on my W7 laptop), I get great local FM Stereo reception. When I enter the pipeline for dump978, I get:

Found 1 device(s):

0: Generic, RTL2832U, SN: 77771111153705700

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U

Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner

Exact sample rate is: 2083334.141630 Hz

[R82XX] PLL not locked!

Sampling at 2083334 S/s.

Tuned to 978000000 Hz.

Tuner gain set to 48.00 dB.

Reading samples in async mode...

Signal caught, exiting!

Short write, samples lost, exiting!

User cancel, exiting...

Any thoughts?

Todd

Todd

And one more question..I used a design for a home-made power injector ( in an earlier post) that show both the inductor and the capacitor soldered to the power in port and the cap going to the receiver and the inductor going to the amp..this is a bit different than the above photo. Is this also correct?

jepolch

And one more question..I used a design for a home-made power injector ( in an earlier post) that show both the inductor and the capacitor soldered to the power in port and the cap going to the receiver and the inductor going to the amp..this is a bit different than the above photo. Is this also correct?
Not sure which photo you're referring to, but this one is made from @ab cd's directions and it works. The inductor and capacitor are both soldered to the Antenna connector.

Attachments

ab cd

There are 6 possible ways in which components can be arranged.
Connection of Amp, Recvr, and DC Power are shown for each configuration.
Please see remarks at bottom of diagram for connection philosophy.

DC Inserter connections2.PNG

Last edited:

Todd

Hi Gang

You have all been so helpful solving my issues...got another one.

I have been trying to receive UAT on 978Mhz using dump978...I have a spider and an inline amp. I have a dead RPi, so I decided to use my little-used desktop Mac. When I hook my new RTL dongle to the rear USB port, and run dump978, I get the following error:

Found 1 device(s):

0: Generic, RTL2832U, SN: 77771111153705700

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U

Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner

Exact sample rate is: 2083334.141630 Hz

[R82XX] PLL not locked!

Sampling at 2083334 S/s.

Tuned to 978000000 Hz.

Tuner gain set to 48.00 dB.

Reading samples in async mode...

Signal caught, exiting!

Short write, samples lost, exiting!

User cancel, exiting

Frustrating!! When I hook the dongle into my W7 laptop, and use SDR#, I can see the blips around 978..OBJ sent me a pic of the expected signal and it looks just like his.

Any helpful ideas? An experienced RTL blogger, Superkuh, suggested it might be the version of RTL_SDR on my Mac and suggested downloading and installing Keenerd's version..but I am too much of a noob to know how to install it (the version I have is from GQRX)

Thanks
Todd

ab cd

Yes, @ab cd is our ruler. :D

Edit: He is our Metric ruler. :p
That is not fair. I always give dimensions in both the Metric & Imperial units like 66mm/2.6 inch, 15m/50 ft, 355mL/12 US fluid oz/12.5 Imperial fluid oz, 10 Liters/2.64 US Gallons/2.2 Imperial Gallons etc. etc.

So I am both Metric and Imperial ruler.

Well when used with Imperial, the word "ruler" with capital R is more appropriate. Adding HM at the beginning is still better :D
Satainless Steel Ruler.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.