ADS-B DIY Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

jepolch

Adding some height to roof mount by fiberglass/PVC pipe is a good idea.
Any addition to height will improve the range. Each foot of height counts.
Good luck.
I bought 6 feet of ABS pipe today. It will have to wait a while before I get up to the roof again. It's cold and I'm sick. Actually have been for a long time. I'll be going into the hospital next Monday. Hopefully for a short stay. No sympathy requested. My body is hurting, but my mind is happy. And this hobby doesn't take a lot of physical strength. :D If I'm lucky I'll have my laptop and internet while I'm in the hospital.

jepolch

I got VRS working today and it made me very happy. I've been wanting to see a graphical display of my coverage and this is fantastic. The range rings are 25nm. I think the reduced coverage to my northeast has to do with my bamboo forest. The 6 feet of pipe mentioned above will help with that, but I may have to go higher. The ABS pipe is cheap and more rigid than PVC.

Attachments

ab cd

I got VRS working today and it made me very happy. I've been wanting to see a graphical display of my coverage and this is fantastic. The range rings are 25nm. I think the reduced coverage to my northeast has to do with my bamboo forest. The 6 feet of pipe mentioned above will help with that, but I may have to go higher. The ABS pipe is cheap and more rigid than PVC.
Your VRS plot is fantastic. Hope it will improve with 6 feet of ABS.

Initially VRS did not have the facility to plot range. It was live display like dump1090. The adsbScope right from begining had this facility. That is why I used adsbScope for my antenna experiments.

Couple of months ago VRS added range plotting, but no data saving, si when I exit VRS or shutdown computer, I lost all range plot data.

Now that VRS has data saving facility, I will use it in addition to adsbScope.

jepolch

Your VRS plot is fantastic. Hope it will improve with 6 feet of ABS.

Initially VRS did not have the facility to plot range. It was live display like dump1090. The adsbScope right from begining had this facility. That is why I used adsbScope for my antenna experiments.

Couple of months ago VRS added range plotting, but no data saving, si when I exit VRS or shutdown computer, I lost all range plot data.

Now that VRS has data saving facility, I will use it in addition to adsbScope.
I also got adsbscope running today and it looks so primitive compared to Virtual Radar. Of course, there may be advantages to using adsbscope and the sparse display might be an advantage because it would use less computer resources. In the next few days I'll be moving VRS to a spare PC I have and will let it run 24/7. When that happens I may look into turning off the dump1090 web server to reduce the load on my Raspberry Pi.

ab cd

I also got adsbscope running today and it looks so primitive compared to Virtual Radar. Of course, there may be advantages to using adsbscope and the sparse display might be an advantage because it would use less computer resources. In the next few days I'll be moving VRS to a spare PC I have and will let it run 24/7. When that happens I may look into turning off the dump1090 web server to reduce the load on my Raspberry Pi.
Sparse display may not be so impressive visually, but when using it to determine antenna performance, it is an advantage, as it shows only the essential things required for this purpose, removing the unnecessary details.

VRS is like a film actress with full makeup & dresses, while adsbScope is same actress without makeup and without fancy dresses, just wokeup & got out of her bed in the morning. :D

ab cd

Imagine VRS with the the Google Map in the background removed, and photos of the aircrafts & airline flags also removed from right pane.
VRS pulls the map from Google Servers, adsbScope does not. The real credit of VRS's beauty goes to the Google Map. Why not we suggest to adsbScope site to modify the software a little bit so that it can also pull the Google Map from Google Servers like VRS?

Later Addition - I have sent following email to the author of adsbScope software:

Sent: Thu 12/11/14 8:57 AM
To: sprut@sprut.de (sprut@sprut.de)

Hi Sprut!

I have been using adsbScope for about two (2) years, mainly to plot range obtained by various DIY antennas I design & built as my hobby. The adsbScope serves as my antenna test equipment, as I dont have any such equipment.

I am very satisfied with the adsbScope as it has proved very good for the purpose I use it. There is another software "Virtual Radar Server". I tried it also. Though it looks beautiful due to use of Google Map, airplane photos & airline flags, It lacked the functionality I needed, i.e. it did not plot the maximum range. It was just like dump1090.

Couple of months ago, range plotting was added to it, but it still had drawback that it did not save range data when it was closed. A new session restarted plotting from zero. Recently they have added data saving also, so when a new session is started, it utilizes the previously saved range data.

With the addition of these features, popularity of VRS has started to surpass the popularity of adsbScope, mainly because adsbScope does not look as beautiful as VRS due to absence of Google Map in the background.

I therefore suggest that adsbScope be revised to include Google Map background like VRS has.

Regards,
ab cd

Last edited:

jepolch

Imagine VRS with the the Google Map in the background removed, and photos of the aircrafts & airline flags also removed from right pane.
VRS pulls the map from Google Servers, adsbScope does not. The real credit of VRS's beauty goes to the Google Map. Why not we suggest to adsbScope site to modify the software a little bit so that it can also pull the Google Map from Google Servers like VRS?

Later Addition - I have sent following email to the author of adsbScope software:

Sent: Thu 12/11/14 8:57 AM
To: sprut@sprut.de (sprut@sprut.de)

Hi Sprut!

I have been using adsbScope for about two (2) years, mainly to plot range obtained by various DIY antennas I design & built as my hobby. The adsbScope serves as my antenna test equipment, as I dont have any such equipment.

I am very satisfied with the adsbScope as it has proved very good for the purpose I use it. There is another software "Virtual Radar Server". I tried it also. Though it looks beautiful due to use of Google Map, airplane photos & airline flags, It lacked the functionality I needed, i.e. it did not plot the maximum range. It was just like dump1090.

Couple of months ago, range plotting was added to it, but it still had drawback that it did not save range data when it was closed. A new session restarted plotting from zero. Recently they have added data saving also, so when a new session is started, it utilizes the previously saved range data.

With the addition of these features, popularity of VRS has started to surpass the popularity of adsbScope, mainly because adsbScope does not look as beautiful as VRS due to absence of Google Map in the background.

I therefore suggest that adsbScope be revised to include Google Map background like VRS has.

Regards,
ab cd
I know nothing about programming and not much about adsbscope, but to me it looks like a hobby project. Forgive me if I hurt anyone's feelings, but just look at adsbscope next to VRS. Night and day! I'm sure the author will never get it to look like VRS. However, I did manage to add a map in the background. load Maps - Northamerica - Background Picture (using Open Street Maps).

Are you able to plot range circles or zones like in VRS? How do you do it?

Attachments

ab cd

........... just look at adsbscope next to VRS. Night and day! I'm sure the author will never get it to look like VRS. However, I did manage to add a map in the background. load Maps - Northamerica - Background Picture (using Open Street Maps).
Yes, you are 100% right it is like day & night now, but if the author of adsbScope manages to just add Google Map, and add some color to range plot, both VRS & adsbScope will be very close.

Are you able to plot range circles or zones like in VRS? How do you do it?
adsbScope can plot range circles based on distance, and zones based on altitude: On the Menu Bar:
Config → Maximum Range → Show all altitudes

RANGE RINGS below in both adsbScope & VRS screenshot are 50 nautical miles apart
adsbScope Range Plotting.PNG

VRS Range Plotting.PNG

jepolch

Yes, you are 100% right it is like day & night now, but if the author of adsbScope manages to just add Google Map, and add some color to range plot, both VRS & adsbScope will be very close.

adsbScope can plot range circles based on distance, and zones based on altitude: On the Menu Bar:
Config → Maximum Range → Show all altitudes

RANGE RINGS below in both adsbScope & VRS screenshot are 50 nautical miles apart
View attachment 698

View attachment 697
Aha! OK thanks. I have adsbscope configured like yours to have a look, but I'll stick with VRS. ;)

ab cd

Aha! OK thanks. I have adsbscope configured like yours to have a look, but I'll stick with VRS. ;)
Yours is a natural choice. But for me adsbScope has been my main tool for 2 years when VRS did not have range plotting facility. I am emmotionally attached to it, and cannot dump my "old faithful". I am using both the adsbScope & VRS simutaneously.

jepolch

Yours is a natural choice. But for me adsbScope has been my main tool for 2 years when VRS did not have range plotting facility. I am emmotionally attached to it, and cannot dump my "old faithful". I am using both the adsbScope & VRS simutaneously.
It's starting to shape up. This is after running only about three hours.

I can totally understand your comfort with a piece of software. I have a couple of old games I've been running since the XP days and couldn't live without them!

Attachments

ab cd

It's starting to shape up. This is after running only about three hours.

I can totally understand your comfort with a piece of software. I have a couple of old games I've been running since the XP days and couldn't live without them!
Great!

A useful tip: sometimes with mouse movement, the map, which is centered at receiver location, moves away somewhat. To correct this situation, click righ-most button on menu bar ("go to receiver location"). This button has red circle with red cross-hair.

But be careful with it's naughty neighbour. Just left of right-most button, there is a very very similar button ("set receiver location"). If you press this button, then whatever position the map is, becomes receiver location, and adsbScope clears all previous plotting and starts afresh!!!! This button to be pressed only immediately after you have adjusted map to receiver's latitude & longitude for the first time, before start of plotting.

The innocent right-most button does not clear any plotting/data and simply re-centers the moved map to the location which was set by clicking it's naughty neighbour. This innocent button also updates the range curve when pressed. I usually click this button at regular intervals to update the range curves.

Last edited:

jepolch

I'll probably be a little quiet for a few days. I'm in the hospital now. The doc said it couldn't wait til Monday. I can just monitor my VRS and dump1090 from here. Can't do any tweaking. I'm just glad to have my laptop with me! :)

ab cd

I'll probably be a little quiet for a few days. I'm in the hospital now. The doc said it couldn't wait til Monday. I can just monitor my VRS and dump1090 from here. Can't do any tweaking. I'm just glad to have my laptop with me! :)
Have you tried "Chrome Remote Desktop"? I have installed this App on my Android phone, and on my Desktop as an extension to Google Chrome Browser. I can can now access my Desktop from my cell phone through internet (wifi or phone's data network). :) see below the screenshot of my cell phone:

Screenshot_2014-11-13-06-50-00.png

Last edited:

jepolch

Have you tried "Chrome Remote Desktop"? I have installed this App on my Android phone, and on my Desktop as an extension to Google Chrome Browser. I can can now access my Desktop from my cell phone through internet (wifi or phone's data network). :) see below the screenshot of my cell phone:

View attachment 701
They are treating me great in the hospital. I'll probably be here til Monday. The food fantastic. I can order anything I want 24/7!

I got the call from the hospital to come in just as I was finishing up moving the VR server to my spare PC and setting up the DNS. No time to set up remote desktop, but I will when I get home. Apparently I didn't get around to setting up the receiver location in VRS because I can't see the range plots. http://virtualradar.ddns.net/virtualradar/desktop.html#

Attachments

ab cd

They are treating me great in the hospital. I'll probably be here til Monday. The food fantastic. I can order anything I want 24/7!

I got the call from the hospital to come in just as I was finishing up moving the VR server to my spare PC and setting up the DNS. No time to set up remote desktop, but I will when I get home. Apparently I didn't get around to setting up the receiver location in VRS because I can't see the range plots. http://virtualradar.ddns.net/virtualradar/desktop.html#
Great news that you will be well & back home Moday.

I saw the photo of fantastic food you have posted. Are you allowed to serve the fantastic food to your visitors? If yes, I may consider driving from Ontario to Carolina this weekend. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.