ADS-B DIY Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

jepolch

That's weird - doesn't work in Firefox. LOL. Fine in Chrome. Go figure.
Works for me. Did you go into Menu - Options - Map and tick "Show range circles"?

Attachments

• rings.jpg
    rings.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 45

jepolch

Ok. Tried that still a no go. I don't know what to click on in my account on the noip website. I see the different things you can use. Under the hostname information.

DNS Host (A)
DNS Host (Round Robin)
DNS Allies (CNAME)
Port 80 Redirect
Web Redirect
Just the A record and the IP address. Here's my setup on no-ip.com. It takes about five minutes for the changes to go into effect.

Attachments

• vrnoip.jpg
    vrnoip.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 35

jepolch

Excellent, congratulations!
What you used at top of barrel connector, silicone or hot melt glue or something else?
It's hot melt glue, but I'm going to redo it with silicone. Thanks for reminding me. ;) The hot melt didn't stick to the metal very well. It came loose.

jepolch

ok. Ill been trying everything. I'll try that setting again.
Remember, that DNS alias just points to your router. In order to see your VRS page, you have to format your web request like this:
http://your.no-ip.host.name/virtualradar/desktop.html
DNS translates your.no-ip.host.name back into an IP address. Your router receives the request as xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80 (xxx's are your real IP address) and redirects the web request to your VRS server.

Sjacket99

Just the A record and the IP address. Here's my setup on no-ip.com. It takes about five minutes for the changes to go into effect.
ok. Thats how i have it setup on my account.

Does this look right. I don't know what else to try. I reinstalled VRS and used port 1025. Since my port 80 is already used.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-08 at 9.13.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-08 at 9.13.29 PM.png
    867.1 KB · Views: 29

jepolch

ok. Thats how i have it setup on my account.

Does this look right. I don't know what else to try. I reinstalled VRS and used port 1025. Since my port 80 is already used.
You're running your web server on port 1025? That's what that Service Port entry does. Is 192.168.0.110 the IP address of your VRS server? Your router is sending web requests to 192.168.0.110:1025. You shouldn't use port 1025. It may be blocked by your router. Google "port 1025" and you'll see why. If you can't use port 80 or 8080, I suggest you use port 8888. Also, just send TCP request to the web server, not All. Did you figure out a way to change the TCP port VRS uses for the web server?

Here's what mine looks like.

Attachments

• router.jpg
    router.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 27

Sjacket99

You're running your web server on port 1025? That's what that Service Port entry does. Is 192.168.0.110 the IP address of your VRS server? Your router is sending web requests to 192.168.0.110:1025. You shouldn't use port 1025. It may be blocked by your router. Google "port 1025" and you'll see why. If you can't use port 80 or 8080, I suggest you use port 8888. Also, just send TCP request to the web server, not All. Did you figure out a way to change the TCP port VRS uses for the web server?

Here's what mine looks like.

192.168.0.119 is the ip of the computer running VRS. So I did change the port on my router to 8888 so far.

jepolch

Been using these two antennae for testing. Think the cantenna works slightly better but we are in a gulch so doesn't really matter that much as the range is limited by the hills, trees, towers and buildings around us.

http://chokoparty.info:20089/VirtualRadar/desktop.html

View attachment 862 View attachment 863
Nice, neat work! I don't see much on your VRS right now, but I guess it's late at night in Australia now. How many aircraft do you usually see during the day?

Sjacket99

I'm sure I'll get it working at some point. Are you using Upnp on VRS?

What version of windows you running on the Dell that you have VRS on?

jepolch

Right now - 7:00 am Saturday - about 10-12. Not a hugely busy airport.

https://flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/garylovesbeer gives you the daily stats - around 550 flights a day at the moment.
Those are actually pretty decent numbers. Are you able to raise your antenna any higher? I first had my antenna mounted on a pole below the roof line. I was getting pretty good reception, but the roof blocked a lot of the sky. Then I moved the antenna to the roof and things improved to about your level of activity. At first I had the antenna mounted just about one foot above the roof. Then I put up a six foot mast and reception really improved. As @ab cd says, every foot of height you raise your antenna the more your reception will improve. Since I put my antenna on the mast I have had the highest numbers of any FlightAware feeder within a hundred miles. I have since installed a 10 foot mast and reception is still very good, but I didn't get the kind of increase going from six to 10 feet as I did from 1 to 6.

ab cd

I was going through a review of RPi B+, and found this:
"One major problem we had during the setup process was that the microSD card slot lasted for three insertions and removals before a spring inside gave up the ghost and the card would no longer stay put. From then on we had to use sticky tape to hold the microSD card in place, which was effective if unsatisfactory. We found ourselves missing the full-size SD card slot of the previous Pi."

Has any one faced this problem of microSD card holder break down?

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/pcs/1400624/raspberry-pi-model-b-review

ab cd

Been using these two antennae for testing. Think the cantenna works slightly better but we are in a gulch so doesn't really matter that much as the range is limited by the hills, trees, towers and buildings around us.

http://chokoparty.info:20089/VirtualRadar/desktop.html

View attachment 862 View attachment 863
If you cut the can height to 69mm, there will be some improvement in performance. I dont recommend cutting your current beans can as it has a nice rounded edge, but because aluminum is easier to cut & make hole, recommend you make another one with aluminum drink can (pepsi, coke, beer etc) of 66mm or larger dia.

Generally 355mL (12 oz) & 710mL (24 oz) cans both have 66mm dia, the length of 710 mL can being double the length of 355mL can. The 66mm-70mm dia seems to be optimum. Larger than 66mm dia is ok, but does not improve performance. Reducing diameter below 66mm reduces the performance. The more you reduce the dia below 66mm, the more the performance reduces.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.