ADS-B DIY Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turorit

I'm curious about a couple of things. 1) Why did you remove the outer case from the dongle? 2) Why didn't you plug the dongle directly into the Pi? I wouldn't call it cluttered, actually I think you did a neat job packing all that in a little box.

1)Part of my logic was to allow the dongle to dissipate heat a little better and also just to slim it down a bit. Initially I had a fan mounted on the lid of the box but I thought it may have been introducing a bit of EMI so I unplugged it.
Everything still running OK, highest internal temp I've seen is 56c with the rPi's core at 65c. I've got a DS18B20 onewire temp sensor connected to the rPi's GPIO.

2) Direct connect would have been ideal but the dongle's antenna connector + sma adapter + flylead wouldn't fit in & would hit the side of the box. Probably a bit of pre-planning and thought could have solved that, but oh well!

jepolch

1)Part of my logic was to allow the dongle to dissipate heat a little better and also just to slim it down a bit. Initially I had a fan mounted on the lid of the box but I thought it may have been introducing a bit of EMI so I unplugged it.
Everything still running OK, highest internal temp I've seen is 56c with the rPi's core at 65c. I've got a DS18B20 onewire temp sensor connected to the rPi's GPIO.
According to Adafruit those onewire temp sensors are complex to program. They don't even have a tutorial. Where did you get the code - or did you write it yourself?

2) Direct connect would have been ideal but the dongle's antenna connector + sma adapter + flylead wouldn't fit in & would hit the side of the box. Probably a bit of pre-planning and thought could have solved that, but oh well!
I see. Well you did a great job of fitting it all in!

giacomo1989

I have installed PuTTy on my windows desktop, and could successfully access RPi from my Desktop over SSH.
However, the PuTTY showed only console, needing commands to be typed.
I hate typing commands in console...... sudo apt-get install mkdir
mad.png
I love windows "point & click".
Is there a way to run GUI (Graphic User Interface) from SSH? I also installed Cygwin, but that also gives command line console.

Keep calm :) Most utility you need just come preinstalled. (mkdir is indeed present no need to install like that :p :p)

If you need help for the console part I'm here!

giacomo1989

Hi mate, thanks for your reply :)

I've removed the amp & injector, seems to be an improvement!
Stupid thing. Strange that it works OK at slightly lower elevation when side-by-side with the magmount on the gutter, yet further up the roof it gets worse.

Whats your signal like if you disconnect the amp and leave the injector, vs removing amp and injector?
Previously when I removed the amp, I still had the injector connected.
I haven't modified my injector at all, perhaps this is the issue? Its a standard DC pass splitter. Unfortunately the way mine is built has no way to open it nicely to modify if neccesary.
Below pic (excuse the mess): Left OUT connector is 14v DC Input. Right OUT connector goes to RTL dongle. IN connector 4m coax to amp.
View attachment 869

Cantenna attaches to ANT connector.
View attachment 870

So we have improvement but still not getting the range I was initially aiming for. More experimenting required, not sure what to try next!
Feel free to take a look at my VRS. You can switch between receiver 1&2 in the menu. http://dorifto.hopto.org:81/virtualradar

@ giacomo1989, there's probably a bit of interference from GSM, DECT & 2.4/5Ghz wifi, though I don't know how much!

Cheers

Ok. Have you tried to directly connect the dongle stright to the usb port instead using a patch cord?

ab cd

Keep calm :) Most utility you need just come preinstalled. (mkdir is indeed present no need to install like that :p :p)

If you need help for the console part I'm here!
I wanted to try console commands, so I tried several commands and all went well, till I ran command sudo rm -rf /* and Pi crashed and refused to re-boot, and I had to reinstall Raspbian!!!!

Last edited:

jepolch

I wanted to try console commands, so I tried several commands and all went well, till I ran command sudo rm -rf /* and Pi crashed and refused to re-boot, and I had to reinstall Raspbian!!!!
I've done that. It was late at night and I typed ls -l /mnt/floppy followed by rm -rf * and I hit enter. I was THINKING rm -rf /mnt/floppy/* but that's not what I typed. You can imagine the rest of the story. :eek:

jepolch

Spidercone completed. I don't suggest trying this one. It was not a fun build. I doubt this will perform any better than and maybe not as good as the conetenna, so it's not worth the trouble. But, since I did go to the trouble I'll mount it on the mast and give it a test, after the conetenna 5-day test.

The tough part about this one is creating the angles. I taped a paper template on the reverse side of the metal and traced the lines with a dulled X-acto knife. That created creases which I then folded to get the angles.

Attachments

• sc1.jpg
    sc1.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 90
  • sc2.jpg
    sc2.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 87

giacomo1989

Spidercone completed. I don't suggest trying this one. It was not a fun build. I doubt this will perform any better than and maybe not as good as the conetenna, so it's not worth the trouble. But, since I did go to the trouble I'll mount it on the mast and give it a test, after the conetenna 5-day test.

The tough part about this one is creating the angles. I taped a paper template on the reverse side of the metal and traced the lines with a dulled X-acto knife. That created creases which I then folded to get the angles.

You are a magician in crafting things! It's marvelous!

ab cd

Looks very nice. Very neat & very crafty.
Thanks for the detailed description of "How to".
Waiting for trial run results.

ab cd

After first crash & reinstall of Raspbian, I again started playing with console commands. After few successful commands I ran command mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda and again Pi crashed & refused to re-boot!!!! I had to reinstall Raspbian.

jepolch

After first crash & reinstall of Raspbian, I again started playing with console commands. After few successful commands I ran command mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda and again Pi crashed & refused to re-boot!!!! I had to reinstall Raspbian.
Don't wear out your SD card! :p

jepolch

Looks very nice. Very neat & very crafty.
Thanks for the detailed description of "How to".
Waiting for trial run results.
I wish there was a way I could tell which parts of the antenna reflect the signal to the whip. In the case of a cone, any part of the surface could reflect. How about this spidercone? I wonder if only the edges of the angles - like 8 legs - reflect - or the flat surfaces? @ab cd have you ever tested just the whip alone, with no radials?

ab cd

I wish there was a way I could tell which parts of the antenna reflect the signal to the whip. In the case of a cone, any part of the surface could reflect. How about this spidercone? I wonder if only the edges of the angles - like 8 legs - reflect - or the flat surfaces? @ab cd have you ever tested just the whip alone, with no radials?
Yes, the whip antenna which comes with the DVB-T USB Dongle. Poor performance compared to a 1/2 wave Dipole or a Ground Plane of any type (horizontal radials, slanting radials like spider legs, circular horizontal disc, cantenna, conetenna etc etc).

If you want to try, take a piece of coax, connect one end to receiver. At the other end, measure 69mm from end & cut the outer jacket, braid & aluminum foil of this 69mm length leaving a 69mm whip with insulation. Keep this whip in vertical position near window or tie it to a bamboo top to make it high. If you like, you can remove the insulation also from the whip.

Last edited:

jepolch

Yes, the whip antenna which comes with the DVB-T USB Dongle. Poor performance compared to a 1/2 wave Dipole or a Ground Plane of any type (horizontal radials, slanting radials like spider legs, circular horizontal disc, cantenna, conetenna etc etc).

If you want to try, take a piece of coax, connect one end to receiver. At the other end, measure 69mm from end & cut the outer jacket, braid & aluminum foil of this 69mm length leaving a 69mm whip with insulation. Keep this whip in vertical position near window or tie it to a bamboo top to make it high. If you like, you can remove the insulation also from the whip.
I'm just wondering how much the ground plane contributes to the reception. I know the whip that comes with the dongle isn't very good. Wrong length, for one thing. I may try the whip alone sometime to see how it performs.

ab cd

@jepolch: Any ground plane or dipole is better than a whip with no groundplane, like the 69mm coax core projecting out of the end of coax (give this simple whip a try).

Even a tuna can lid :D is better than no ground plane, though it will injure fingures if one is not careful.
tuna-fish-can-monopole_9ame3ehe-jpg.562

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.