ADS-B DIY Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

jepolch

@jepolch: Any ground plane or dipole is better than a whip with no groundplane, like the 69mm coax core projecting out of the end of coax (give this simple whip a try).

Even a tuna can lid :D is better than no ground plane, though it will injure fingures if one is not careful.
tuna-fish-can-monopole_9ame3ehe-jpg.562
I would guess that any antenna is going to get good reception if it's placed up high like that one!

ab cd

I would guess that any antenna is going to get good reception if it's placed up high like that one!
Yes, provided the house is not surrounded by high rise buildings, mountains, bamboos or trees :D.

Try 69mm core wire projecting out of end of coax, placed at same height as your other reference antenna.

garylovesbeer

For all you folk who are having to run big distances with coax why not mount your receiver/computer near the antenna and run lan cable with POE to the receiver/computer. Works for me. Love POE.
Gary's PiAware Setup.JPG

ab cd

Don't wear out your SD card! :p
No problem if microSD card wears out due to my linux console command experiments & adventures.

After I got my first Pi, I purchased bunch of 8 GB Class 10 microSD cards for Can $5.99 each = US$5.09 each.

ab cd

I have purchased an RCA 7" Android Tablet for Can $49.99 from Wallmart Canada. This was special price during boxing week. Now it is Can $69.99.

For DVB-T USB, there is a driver zdiag for windows & linux. Is the driver avaiable for Android also? If there is a driver available, then this tablet can be used to feed ADS-B data.

This will be the cheapest stand-alone solution. It is like an RPi+Case+Power Supply+Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor+WiFi, all for Can $70 = US $59.43 = €49.59

Last edited:

jepolch

I have purchased an RCA 7" Android Tablet for Can $49.99 from Wallmart Canada. This was special price during boxing week. Now it is Can $69.99.

For DVB-T USB, there is a driver zdiag for windows & linux. Is the driver avaiable for Android also? If there is a driver available, then this tablet can be used to feed ADS-B data.

This will be the cheapest stand-alone solution. It is like an RPi+Case+Power Supply+Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor+WiFi, all for Can $70 = US $59.43 = €49.59
As far as I know, Zadig only needs to be run once to install the kernel driver for the dongle, right? Anyway, when I attached the dongle to my Android phone and tablet and ran the ADS-B app it worked without having to install a Zadig type program. Maybe you don't need one. Of course, I wasn't using the Android device as a feeder, just to monitor the ADS-B data on the screen.

Sjacket99

As far as I know, Zadig only needs to be run once to install the kernel driver for the dongle, right? Anyway, when I attached the dongle to my Android phone and tablet and ran the ADS-B app it worked without having to install a Zadig type program. Maybe you don't need one. Of course, I wasn't using the Android device as a feeder, just to monitor the ADS-B data on the screen.

I just tried that ADS-B on my phone and hooked up my USB dongle. Thats pretty cool. Didn't know they have a app for that.

jepolch

I just tried that ADS-B on my phone and hooked up my USB dongle. Thats pretty cool. Didn't know they have a app for that.
If you look back a couple of pages in this thread I mentioned running it on my phone and also tablet. I wasn't very impressed with it though. The aircraft icons look pretty huge on the screen and there doesn't seem to be any way to configure the app to do anything.

Sjacket99

If you look back a couple of pages in this thread I mentioned running it on my phone and also tablet. I wasn't very impressed with it though. The aircraft icons look pretty huge on the screen and there doesn't seem to be any way to configure the app to do anything.

I did notice the planes are pretty big.

Turorit

For all you folk who are having to run big distances with coax why not mount your receiver/computer near the antenna and run lan cable with POE to the receiver/computer. Works for me. Love POE.
View attachment 880
Nice setup mate. What are you using to drop to 5v for rpi? How long is your PoE run?
I'm using a 24v PSU (had one spare) with a DC buck converter to drop to 14v for the amp, then up in the box I've got another DC buck converter to drop to 5v for the rpi.

Ok. Have you tried to directly connect the dongle straight to the usb port instead using a patch cord?
Haven't tried direct connect as the dongle won't fit in the box in the current layout. Things are definitely working better since I removed the amp&incorrect power injector.

@ab cd, what value axial inductor do you recommend for the injector? My local electronics shop doesn't sell them, so I'll have to buy from ebay - only lots of 50,100 or 200 though! No idea what I'll do with that many...

ab cd

@Turorit:
Values of inductor and capacitor are not critical. Please see their range at the bottom of picture "How to make a power inserter" I posted on page 48.

You can safely use the values I have tried and found ok. These are given below:

Inductors 3.3 uH, and 4.7 uH and both worked ok.

Capacitor 100pF & 200pF, and both worked ok.

Last edited:

ab cd

Pi B+ Composite Video & Audio Lead.

Pi B+ lead looks identical to leads for camcorder & other devices.
Composite Video Audio cable TRRS to RCA-1.jpg . Composite Video Audio Cable TRRS to RCA-2.JPG.jpeg

But all these leads do not work with Pi B+ as the connections differ.

Camcorders and some other devices use the sleeve as Ground and Ring as Video.

Pi B+ & Apple devices (iPod, iPad, iPhone etc) and Zune use the Sleeve as Video, and Ring as Ground.

Please see the diagram below:

Model B+ Audio Video Jack.png

Last edited:

Turorit

According to Adafruit those onewire temp sensors are complex to program. They don't even have a tutorial. Where did you get the code - or did you write it yourself?

I see. Well you did a great job of fitting it all in!

Thanks mate. It works well so I'm happy with it :)

As for the temp sensor, I run a package called rpi-monitor (http://rpi-experiences.blogspot.fr/p/rpi-monitor.html). On their website somewhere, they had some instructions on how to add in a DS18B20 or DHT22 temp sensor. It was a little hard to understand but I managed to get it working OK. http://rpi-experiences.blogspot.fr/2013/06/rpi-monitor-version-20-advance-usage.html about half way down the page is "Add other graphs from additional sources: external temperature probe"

ab cd

.........I was not a HAM, but a shortwave listener. I still have my Sony radio!
Our interest seems many things in common. I was also a shortwave listener, but now there is practically silence there. Long ago, I had a Philips shortwave digital radio 100khz to 30mhz + fm, which broke down. For many years now I have Grundig Satellit 750 receiver for 100khz to 30mhz + fm + air band.

Grundig Satellit 750 Radio.jpg

ab cd

Nice. I used to listen to SW. I had a Sangean radio.
There was a time when shortwaves were so lively & crowded! Now there is silence. After advent of satellite, land & submarine Fiber Optic cable trunk lines, cell phones and internet, shortwave lost its charm of being most practical, low cost & successful means of long distance telecommunications. Even HAMs are now using VHF & UHF rather than SW.

Last edited:

garylovesbeer

Nice setup mate. What are you using to drop to 5v for rpi? How long is your PoE run?
I'm using a 24v PSU (had one spare) with a DC buck converter to drop to 14v for the amp, then up in the box I've got another DC buck converter to drop to 5v for the rpi.
About 30m using the TP-Link injector and splitter. I'm not as handy as you... Hacked up a 3.5mm plug to usb cable, set the splitter to 5V. Voila! No need for a power point and I have the RPI about 7m from the antenna.

Turorit

About 30m using the TP-Link injector and splitter. I'm not as handy as you... Hacked up a 3.5mm plug to usb cable, set the splitter to 5V. Voila! No need for a power point and I have the RPI about 7m from the antenna.

Fantastic! If you can keep it simple and it works, then why not :)
Good to see another like-minded indivual playing with a PoE rPi!

garylovesbeer

Fantastic! If you can keep it simple and it works, then why not :)
Good to see another like-minded indivual playing with a PoE rPi!
Got my ds18b20 temperature sensor hooked up and logging to http://chokoparty.info:28888/status.html . Next step is to log to https://thingspeak.com/channels/22687 but I can't program to save my life even in Python. Next thing to learn.

Meanwhile I may increase the height of my cantenna using jepolch's trick with the 2 lengths of conduit inside each other.

Back on the roof again.

Status
Not open for further replies.