ADS-B DIY Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

ab cd

.......I seem to have made one which works well. I've made dozens that didn't. :rolleyes: ........
Correction: You made TWO colliners which worked well:
(1) The 6-element Franklin Collinear.
(2) The 24-element Coaxial Collinear.

It seems that since Franklin looks more like a dipole, and less like other collinears, it is often missed out from collinear category. :)

Last edited:

jepolch

I had a kind of a tough day "at the office" (translation working at home) today. I started the morning to find that my primary feeder hadn't fed FlightAware since midnight. It was online, Piaware was running, dump1090-mut was running, but was not feeding Piaware. I turned off mut and resumed using Piaware 1090 and still it wouldn't feed. I think the problem may have been caused by a failed auto upgrade of Piaware during the night. I ended up creating a new Piaware disk from the latest image. Then it worked.

After that I went up to the roof to replace the colinear with a cantenna. I got the whole job done and looked at VRS on my phone to see that the cantenna was only picking up half as many aircraft as the spider! What now?? I suspected the amp may be damaged, because the type F connector seemed a little wobbly when I put it on the cantenna. So I lowered the mast again (wow, that is a lot of work) and then replaced the RCA amp with the Perfect Vision amp and things improved. By the way, the RCA amp has type F connectors that screw the case. The PV amp has connectors that are molded into the case. If you do a lot of antenna swapping like I do, you might keep that in mind. Now everything seems to be working, so I'm going to sit here and do nothing for a while! :)

ab cd

I've mounted my cantenna inside a piece of 90mm stormwater pipe with 2 endcaps. Seems to work ok :)
Coax feeds through the bottom, silicone around the hole.
Do a microwave oven test on a piece of stormwater pipe, as trigger has mentioned few post earlier. Put a piece of stormwater pipe+a cup full of water (to save your oven getting damaged by unabsorbed microwave power) and run microwave for 1 to 1½ minutes. Then touch the storm water pipe to see if it gets warm. The warmer it is, the larger amount of 1090Mhz it will absorb.

Last edited:

ab cd

Hey! Our friend trigger's successful 24-element coaxial collinear (Coco) is showing it's strength. His feed is #25 now, going up (↑ besides his name). Waiting for him to reach #1!

Screenshot_2015-02-06-15-32-44.png

ab cd

Has any one purchased RPi model 2?

Released just 3 weeks after I purchased RPi B+

Compred to B+, model 2 has Double the RAM, faster and quad core CPU... and at the same price $35...... Annoying!

Turorit

Compred to B+, model 2 has Double the RAM, faster and quad core CPU... and at the same price $35...... Annoying!
One landed on my desk yesterday, not sure what I'm going to do with it yet :D
Installed all the rtl & dump1090 stuff, had a crack at rtl_airband but its spitting out errors when trying to run 'make'. More investigation and learning needed.
I've also got an R820T2 on its way, will see how that compares to my current R820T for adsb. I've heard its a little better :)

jepolch

I just bought a B+ after Christmas. I will probably get the Pi2 after the rush dies down. I'm really interested in the prospect of running Windows 10 on it. I don't expect it will run off the shelf Windows software like VRS, but eventually someone will compile something useful for it. I'm thinking the Pi version of Windows will be something like Windows Phone or Windows CE. Sorta Windows, sorta not.

jepolch

@ab cd: Where are the directions for installing PlaneFinder on the Pi? Thanks.

Edit: It's OK. I found them and got it installed and running. I used your instructions in the other thread and they worked perfectly!

One thing you or anyone can tell me, where do I see my stats on PlaneFinder?

Last edited:

ab cd

........One thing you or anyone can tell me, where do I see my stats on PlaneFinder?
If you are registered with planefinder with user name "Joe Polchlopek", these are your statistics:

https://planefinder.net/sharing/receiver/8414

I am registeted with user name ab cd and my stats are at https://planefinder.net/sharing/receiver/5993

You have to login to see full details. Since you started data feeding just today, your statistics will be almost nil.

Complete list of all data sharers (receivers):

https://planefinder.net/sharing/receiver_list

Last edited:

ab cd

@jepolch
Check the health of data feed by reading the log files:

Planefinder:
Code:
sudo cat /tmp/pfclient.log
Flightaware:
Code:
sudo cat/tmp/piaware.out
Flightradar24:
Code:
service fr24feed status

DougJohnson

I've also got an R820T2 on its way, will see how that compares to my current R820T for adsb. I've heard its a little better :)
I installed a R820T2 a couple of days ago, replacing a R820T. So far, I'm not seeing any significant difference. I'll post range plots after a couple days more data.
-- Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.