Can't install pfclient on Rasp Pi 5 / Bookworm (solved)

GadgetPilot

Hi.

I want to feed to Planefinder, i allready feed to Flightaware and FR24. I use readsb.

I have tried several times, but every time I get the error below:

Code:
dpkg -i pfclient_5.0.161_armhf.deb

Code:
(Reading database ... 79500 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack pfclient_5.0.161_armhf.deb ...
Stopping pfclient (via systemctl): pfclient.service.
Unpacking pfclient:armhf (5.0.161) over (5.0.161) ...
Setting up pfclient:armhf (5.0.161) ...
Job for pfclient.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status pfclient.service" and "journalctl -xeu pfclient.service" for details.
dpkg: error processing package pfclient:armhf (--install):
 installed pfclient:armhf package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 pfclient:armhf

I run: Raspberry Pi OS Lite 64 bit Bookworm

Last edited:
I have also tried to repair install:

Code:
sudo apt --fix-broken install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
    LANGUAGE = (unset),
    LC_ALL = (unset),
    LC_CTYPE = "UTF-8",
    LANG = "da_DK.UTF-8"
    are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to a fallback locale ("da_DK.UTF-8").
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: Ingen s?dan fil eller filkatalog
Setting up pfclient:armhf (5.0.161) ...
pfclient_5.0.161_armhf.deb

You didn't mentioned what operating system version you are running with your Pi5 and I take it that you are using Bookworm.

I only have a Pi4 but have upgraded to the latest operating system namely Bookworm and also feed the same programs as you. I too also struck the same problem as you are having with PlaneFinder.

In December 2023, I was advised by PlaneFinder at this stage doesn't support Bookworm and will be advised when they do.

Last edited:
You didn't mentioned what operating system version you are running with your Pi5 and I take it that you are using Bookworm.

I only have a Pi4 but have upgraded to the latest operating system namely Bookworm and also feed the same programs as you. I too also struck the same problem as you are having with PlaneFinder.

In December 2023, I was advised by PlaneFinder at this stage doesn't support Bookworm and will be advised when they do.
Thanks Noel.

I do indeed run raspios-bookworm-arm64-lite from december 2023.

Since I allready run FlightRadar 24 and Flightaware via TAR1090, I won't change OS. So Planefinder will have to wait until they support Bookworm.

You don't need tar1090 to feed any site. Tar1090 is your local viewer of the data coming from your decoder, whether that's readsb or dump1090.
I was using one of the feeder images and added 5 other feeders to it. I wanted something different so I copied my share codes and IDs for the feeder sites, and then started fresh. Once I had the new OS, I added the feeds again and configured to use the same ID/sharekey.

The new process took under 1 hour, and that included feeding FR24, ADSBx, FA, ADSB.LOL and PF.

I did want to keep my graphs1090 data so I followed weidehopf's guide on how to back it up and that was flawless.

It's up to you, but you can stand firm, or just do it. Just use a different SD card, so if you muck it up, you can just pop the original back in.

Hi @flyinverted - I was wrong yes - I use readsb - But my main problem was I can't install planfinder - What I have done is go back to my Rasp Pi 4B and now everything works.

Hi @flyinverted - I was wrong yes - I use readsb - But my main problem was I can't install planfinder - What I have done is go back to my Rasp Pi 4B and now everything works.
It does not matter if your decoder is readsb or dump1090-fa or dump1090-mutability. The pfclient works perfectly well with all these decoders.

The initial release of Bookworm in Dec 2023 had some issues, but within a week or 2 next issue in Dec 2023, these were fixed.

I have successfully installed pfclient on Pi4 with 64-bit RadpberryPi OS Bookworm (December 2023 2nd release as well as latest March 2024 release). Initially the pfclient fails to install when dpkg -i command is issued, giving message uninstallable dependency packages. I then gave following commands, and this resulted in successfull installation of pfclient.

Code:
sudo apt update

sudo apt --fix-broken install

Last edited:
you might have tried on RaspberryPi OS Bookworm's FIRST release in Dec 2023 which had issues.

Try it now on latest release dated 2024-03-15
I will give it a chance. Since I switched two weeks ago, I didn't test the 15-03-2024 release.

Thanks to GadgetPilot & ABCD for today's posts, following the steps outlined, reran the PlaneFinder client program again. Like clockwork, it's now up and running again after an absence of a few months.

Thanks for the update too. Just as a warning, today (19th of March 2024) I used the Raspberry Pi Imager to setup my new Raspberry Pi 5 with the lite 64 bits version of Bookworm and got the error reported by GadgetPilot of the first post of this thread. After manually downloading the March 15th 2024 version from the official webpage I could then install the pfclient without errors. Thanks again.

Regards,

Thanks for the update too. Just as a warning, today (19th of March 2024) I used the Raspberry Pi Imager to setup my new Raspberry Pi 5 with the lite 64 version of Bookworm and got the error of this first post. Then I manually downloaded the March 15th 2024 version from the official webpage and then I could install the pfcliente without errors. Thanks again.

Regards,

Good info thanks

Thanks for the update too. Just as a warning, today (19th of March 2024) I used the Raspberry Pi Imager to setup my new Raspberry Pi 5 with the lite 64 bits version of Bookworm and got the error reported by GadgetPilot of the first post of this thread. After manually downloading the March 15th 2024 version from the official webpage I could then install the pfclient without errors. Thanks again.

Regards,

When used, the Raspberry Pi imager downloads the latest image and does two things with this image:
  • Saves it in it’s cache
  • Writes it to microSD card
When next time it is started, the Raspi Imager checks the latest version available at servers of Raspberrypi Orgnization. If it is same as the cached version from previous use, it does not download the image. Instead it uses the cached copy. If the version available at Raspberry Pi servers is newer, it downloads the new version, writes new version to microSD card, as well as replaces the old cached version by new one.

In rare case that when you start Raspberry Pi imager and at that time Raspberry Pi server is down, or your internet connection is poor, It cannot check the latest version, and uses cached version to write the image to microSD card. There is also a possibility that previous downloaded version had some corruption.

To avoid this situation, before imaging, I always clear Raspberry Pi Imager’s cache by deleting all files & folders inside the “cache” folder.

The location of cache is as below (replace abcd by your user name):
C:\Users\abcd\AppData\Local\Raspberry Pi\Imager\cache

Back