Plane Finder Client Beta3 (3.0.1657)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ab cd

Now beta3 up time 1 day, 6 hrs 13 minutes.

Reboot after install is not required. I rebooted as a precaution, and it gave me added advantage to set the "up time" to zero, so I now know exactly how long beta3 has been running by executing command "top".

Executed "top" command in console of RPi Model 2, using SSH from my Android phone.

Screenshot_2015-05-23-13-15-29.png

Last edited:

Lee Armstrong

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Roger,

For some reason it looks like the time is jumping around on the client, not sure this is the cause but could be something not right on the system. Is NTP setup?

Also I see the disconnect but then I see the reconnect. Where did you have to reboot? Our client picks up system time but orders the log in order logged so I can see an issue with the time on the system

Lee Armstrong

Administrator
Staff member
Yes that should help a lot. Next time it happens would be good to see the log again.

Would also be good to see what the other screens in the Web UI of the client are up to as well! We should recover and reconnect. Some forks of Dump1090 do seem to disconnect us a lot!

Lee Armstrong

Administrator
Staff member
It ran all night and then a few minutes ago it went again. Not even up to the busy period yet. I could only get the first part of the data. The other feeders and Dump1090 kept working.

Hi Roger,

I can't really see an issue except for the time drifting by a long way! Is it possible the Pi rebooted? Might be worth looking at the "uptime" command.

That said we did recover it seems so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Lee

Lee Armstrong

Administrator
Staff member
I don't understand why the time is still drifting, I think I have the ntp server configured now.

Uptime says:

06:22:33 up 37 min, 1 user, load average: 1.10, 0.98, 0.85
It's only been up for 37 minutes so something rebooted it by the looks of it.

A longer uptime looks like...

06:33:13 up 10 days, 22:08, 1 user, load average: 0.16, 0.10, 0.12

Lee Armstrong

Administrator
Staff member
I have just added the time offset to the "Private Data" tab that only you can see on the sharing site.

Keep an eye on that and it should be within +/- a few seconds!

2015-05-27_10-51-07.png

Lee Armstrong

Administrator
Staff member
The biggest thing that will get you better data/range is a dedicated ADS-B receiver. The RTL is good but not as good as a dedicated ADS-B receiver

ab cd

V
The biggest thing that will get you better data/range is a dedicated ADS-B receiver. The RTL is good but not as good as a dedicated ADS-B receiver

Very true!
In order of priority:
(1) A dedicated ADS-B receiver
(2) Antenna location: Outdoor, clear of obstructions, antenna can "see" horizon.
(3) High gain antenna with "squeezed donut" radiation pattern.
(4) Low attenuation, short length Coax between antenna & receiver.

Deficiencies in (3) & (4) can be covered largely, if not fully, by using a (pre) amplifier between antenna & receiver.

For locations with strong TV, FM & cellular (mobile) signals, which overload and/or interfere with ads-b signal, 1090 Mhz filter may become necessary.

Lee Armstrong

Administrator
Staff member
I am pleased to say that since correcting the timekeeping in the Pi there have been no further crashes and the logs are clear. I don't think it mentions in any of the Pi setup guides I have seen how important this obviously vital step is. Thanks to Lee for putting me onto this. :)

I am using a USB dongle (Nooelec R820T2) but it is performing well, my figures show that. My antenna is about 30ft above ground on a mast that is 8ft above the neighbouring rooftops, it has a clear view in all directions and no nearby hills. I don't think it is particularly high gain, it's a custom-built eBay special and quoted at 3dB. The cable connecting it is standard satellite cable and the run is about 30ft to the receiver. I can't see how it would be possible to have a high mounted antenna and a short run unless the receiver was on the mast. I do, however, have a HABAmp filter/preamplifier designed for dongles that made a massive difference when I fitted it. I'm not quite sure what s sqeezed donut should look like, mine seem quite uniform though there is a weakness to the southeast that is annoying since that is the direction of most activity.

View attachment 2142
No problem at all. It is very useful to setup NTP on any system. We will work around this in future with NTP embedded into the software but for now we rely heavily on system time.

Range looks good for an RTL. We will be rolling out MLAT receivers for planefinder.net in the next month or so and you look like you could be in rather a good location!

ab cd

..........I am using a USB dongle (Nooelec R820T2) but it is performing well, my figures show that. My antenna is about 30ft above ground on a mast that is 8ft above the neighbouring rooftops, it has a clear view in all directions and no nearby hills. I don't think it is particularly high gain, it's a custom-built eBay special and quoted at 3dB. The cable connecting it is standard satellite cable and the run is about 30ft to the receiver. I can't see how it would be possible to have a high mounted antenna and a short run unless the receiver was on the mast. I do, however, have a HABAmp filter/preamplifier designed for dongles that made a massive difference when I fitted it. I'm not quite sure what s sqeezed donut should look like, mine seem quite uniform though there is a weakness to the southeast that is annoying since that is the direction of most activity.

View attachment 2142
This thread is for pfclient beta3, and it is not appropriate to discuss antennas in this thread. There is another thread for antennas, amplifiers, and much more. The link to that thread is:
http://forum.planefinder.net/threads/ads-b-diy-antenna.23/page-4#post-383

Last edited:

Metallikev

I'm getting errors when I try to update to beta3 from the i386 package on ubuntu server VM

Could you check the i386.deb package when you get chance, I have tried it on a fresh install with the same result.

I have attached a screenshot of the error, seems like a package problem though.

Attachments

Lee Armstrong

Administrator
Staff member
I'm getting errors when I try to update to beta3 from the i386 package on ubuntu server VM

Could you check the i386.deb package when you get chance, I have tried it on a fresh install with the same result.

I have attached a screenshot of the error, seems like a package problem though.
Ok thanks. What happens if you try and manually run

Code:
/usr/bin/pfclient
Actually, just found an issue and correct it is 64-bit for some reason. We'll get it sorted today and will post here when updated.

Metallikev

Hi Lee, thanks for the quick reply :)

When I try to manually run I get the error:- cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

Status
Not open for further replies.