Plane Finder Client Beta3 (3.0.1657)

Status
Not open for further replies.

darethehair

30005 and beast binary format should indeed work and in fact we favour this over 30003 data coming from clients, before you had tried port 30005 and 30003 format it seems.

Our .deb "just works" out of the box for a raspbian install so if you haven't got a /var/log you will have to create it or modify the init script to point to that location, on a vanilla OS this just works and so it sounds like you are doing something different and will have to modify paths yourself.

OK, just to be clear on what I think is going on here:

1) The 'default' (?) mode when I installed 'pfclient' (I think) was '30003 (Basestation)' mode, which (I guess) naturally means that I should be using port 30003 for my port number (and, which works just great). Any thoughts on why using 'Beast' mode (and port 30005) is preferred?

2) The issue is not that '/var/log' doesn't exist -- the issue is that the subdirectory '/var/log/pfclient' does not -- and the client assumes that it does (and fails to start when it does not). My suggestion would be to make it easy by just putting it into '/var/log', which I think every Linux system will naturally have existing. In any case, I was going to ask you what/where the script is to change this, but I figured out that it is '/etc/init.d/pfclient'. I am just surprised that no one else has run into this (at least on a Raspberry Pi) -- since during the next reboot the '/var/log/pfclient' subdirectory would be missing? Anyways, I think I am OK now!

I hope that my questions and answers will help future Raspian plane tracker folks running PlaneFinder :)

ab cd

@darethehair
In one of my RPi, I have Raspbian Wheezy.
In 2nd RPi I have Piaware image.

I have installed PFClient Beta3 (3.0.1657) on both RPi, using "pfclient_3.0.1657_armhf.deb", and /var/log/pfclient was automatically created at install, and exists there permanently.

darethehair

@darethehair
In one of my RPi, I have Raspbian Wheezy.
In 2nd RPi I have Piaware image.

I have installed PFClient Beta3 (3.0.1657) on both RPi, using "pfclient_3.0.1657_armhf.deb", and /var/log/pfclient was automatically created at install, and exists there permanently.

Thanks for providing more info and helping to confirm my own impressions :) Yes, since the 'pfclient' deb is installed using 'sudo', it gets the temporary rights as 'root' to do whatever it wishes -- including the creation of the '/var/log/pfclient' subdirectory. However, for those (like me) that have moved '/var/log' to 'tmpfs' (in order to reduce the likelihood of SD card media corruption), the '/var/log' directory gets created fresh each time the RaspPi is rebooted -- in which case there is no longer a '/var/log/pfclient' subdirectory waitng for the pfclient to write to. Bottom line: I still think it is safer just have the log(s) being written to '/var/log' -- which is guaranteed (?) to always exist for anyone to use.

Matt Dodd

Is there a i386 version (not .deb) available of beta 3? When I download the .tar.gz I'm not able to run the binary on a 32 bit system.

Would it be possible to compile it myself from source?

Matt Dodd

I just rebuilt the beta 3 32-bit Linux binary so the existing links should work.

http://client.planefinder.net/pfclient_3.0.1657_i386.tar.gz

Lee

Thanks for uploading this but I'm not able to run this binary on my system. While I was able to get further, I don't have libc 2.15 or 2.7.

./pfclient: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by ./pfclient)
./pfclient: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by ./pfclient)

This is what I have installed:

strings /lib/libc.so.6 | grep GLIBC
GLIBC_2.0
GLIBC_2.1
GLIBC_2.1.1
GLIBC_2.1.2
GLIBC_2.1.3
GLIBC_2.2
GLIBC_2.2.1
GLIBC_2.2.2
GLIBC_2.2.3
GLIBC_2.2.4
GLIBC_2.2.6
GLIBC_2.3
GLIBC_2.3.2
GLIBC_2.3.3
GLIBC_2.3.4
GLIBC_2.4
GLIBC_2.5
GLIBC_PRIVATE

I know it is asking a lot but would it be possible to provide the source so I can try to compile it or recompile on your end with compatibility with one of these versions?

Lee Armstrong

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for uploading this but I'm not able to run this binary on my system. While I was able to get further, I don't have libc 2.15 or 2.7.

./pfclient: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by ./pfclient)
./pfclient: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by ./pfclient)

This is what I have installed:

strings /lib/libc.so.6 | grep GLIBC
GLIBC_2.0
GLIBC_2.1
GLIBC_2.1.1
GLIBC_2.1.2
GLIBC_2.1.3
GLIBC_2.2
GLIBC_2.2.1
GLIBC_2.2.2
GLIBC_2.2.3
GLIBC_2.2.4
GLIBC_2.2.6
GLIBC_2.3
GLIBC_2.3.2
GLIBC_2.3.3
GLIBC_2.3.4
GLIBC_2.4
GLIBC_2.5
GLIBC_PRIVATE

I know it is asking a lot but would it be possible to provide the source so I can try to compile it or recompile on your end with compatibility with one of these versions?
Hi Matt,

Sorry but this will be remaining closed source. How come your glibc is so old?

Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.