Plane Finder Radar

Luis Cova

Hopefully we'll put it for sale in the next few weeks. Stay tuned on this post as we'll shortly update it with the specs etc. This was a sneak preview for forum members!

It works with Plane Plotter now and we have contacted the VRS developers and they will be adding support in the future, not sure how long there.
Does the PlaneFinder Radar uses normal ports? 30003 for BaseStation.. 30005 or 30334 for AVR/Beast?

Lee Armstrong

Administrator
Staff member
It uses a custom format that when it goes on sale we will publish.

All existing formats couldn't cope with the timestamp resolution we needed.

boab

My PFR unit arrived today and is working. Installation could not have been simpler - the hardest bit was opening the box.
I have been feeding PF for a while using a F1OPA /F5ANN active antenna, a FA RTL dongle, and a RPi3. I am in a busy area not far from London Heathrow in the UK.
The units are sharing the same antenna and initial results are about the same performance. Looking forward to seeing who wins ;-)

Lee Armstrong

Administrator
Staff member
That's great news!

I'm not familiar with that antenna but a decent pre-amp will be needed if you are splitting it out between receivers.

In testing/comparisons with RTL dongles we found that they had similar (and sometimes a little more range) but a lot less messages per aircraft. Especially in a busy area like yourself we would see gaps in the data as it came in to land. You will see this by looking at our client on both and you can compare the Mode-S message rate.

Also the GPS timestamps we tag onto the messages produce some nice MLAT so hopefully you'll be seeing those aircraft too :-D

boab

The antenna has built in SAW filter and 20db LNA. I tried the PFR on FA 68cm antenna at same height initially incase the LNA upset the PFR - it did not appear that way on simple test.

Lee Armstrong

Administrator
Staff member
The antenna has built in SAW filter and 20db LNA. I tried the PFR on FA 68cm antenna at same height initially incase the LNA upset the PFR - it did not appear that way on simple test.
No the LNA should be fine as you have discovered. I have run some preamps here too.

Also we filter the input too on our RF front end.

boab

My new setup has been stable for over 12 hours, just checked this mornings peak traffic hour 06:00 GMT.
Plane Finder Radar: ADS-B Positions = 70699, Positionless Reports = 10769
Raspberry Pi 3 + FA RTL: ADS-B Positions = 72561, Positionless Reports = 19467
Both sharing the same antenna.

So very busy but slightly fewer positions and less wasted internet bandwidth, or is that MLAT?
Tests/monitoring continue.

boab

First full 24hr comparison:
Plane Finder Radar: ADS-B Positions = 1,102,163, Positionless Reports = 232,906
Raspberry Pi 3 + FA RTL: ADS-B Positions = 1,124,950, Positionless Reports = 336,940