Web Portal and Collectd/rrd graphs automated installation

jepolch

Oh boy, I screwed something up and my graphs have stopped graphing. Dump and collectd are running, web server is up, but I changed the port of the web server from 80 to 82. Could this have caused something to break? I'm trying to get my computers ready as I'll be going out of town for a week. In addition to changing the web server port I also forwarded the port in my router so I could view it from outside my network. All of that stuff is working fine - except graphing! Help please!

Attachments

bramj

Oh boy, I screwed something up and my graphs have stopped graphing. Dump and collectd are running, web server is up, but I changed the port of the web server from 80 to 82. Could this have caused something to break? I'm trying to get my computers ready as I'll be going out of town for a week. In addition to changing the web server port I also forwarded the port in my router so I could view it from outside my network. All of that stuff is working fine - except graphing! Help please!

When i look at the collectd.conf in /etc/collectd/ is see that statistics are loaded data via http (port80)
Maybe it works if you add port 82 to the URL like this in the collectd.conf , and restart collected

------------
# Configure the dump1090 python module.
# Each Instance block collects statistics from a separate named dump1090.
# The URL should be the base URL of the webmap, i.e. in the examples below,
# statistics will be loaded from http://localhost/dump1090/data/stats.json etc.

<Plugin python>
ModulePath "/home/pi/dump-tools/collectd"
LogTraces true
Import "dump1090"
<Module dump1090>
<Instance rpi>
URL "http://localhost:82/dump1090"
</Instance>

</Module>
</Plugin>

--------------

jepolch

When i look at the collectd.conf in /etc/collectd/ is see that statistics are loaded data via http (port80)
Maybe it works if you add port 82 to the URL like this in the collected.conf ,

------------
# Configure the dump1090 python module.
# Each Instance block collects statistics from a separate named dump1090.
# The URL should be the base URL of the webmap, i.e. in the examples below,
# statistics will be loaded from http://localhost/dump1090/data/stats.json etc.

<Plugin python>
ModulePath "/home/pi/dump-tools/collectd"
LogTraces true
Import "dump1090"
<Module dump1090>
<Instance rpi>
URL "http://localhost:82/dump1090"
</Instance>

</Module>
</Plugin>

--------------
You are absolutely right. When I was looking everywhere for a solution I looked in collectd.conf and saw http://localhost/dump1090/ and I added :82 to the URL and that fixed it. I hope this gets added to the FAQ at some point to help anyone else who tinkers with his web server settings. Thanks for the quick reply, Bram!

Edit: And make sure to restart collectd after you make the change. 'sudo /etc/init.d/collectd restart'.

xforce30164

Hey Guys,
I'm very sorry for not replying for such a long time :oops:, but it's been veeeery hectic.

lot's of stuff to do for exams and university. right now in the middle of packing my bags and making sure everything is set before I'm going on holiday to northwest USA. I'll probably be able to reply here and there when we have wifi ^^. Also, I've reinstalled my planefeeding clients on the attic-pi; had them turned of because of the installation and graphing of our PV-panels. getting nice coverage with amped spider just slightly above roofline tucked inside old/unused chimney/outlet on the roof.

roof-spider.png

I'll be trying to get to you and see if I can solve the problems but I don't know when that will be due to all the travelling and holiday etc.

Johan

Hello Guys.
and xforce30164.

I'm not getting into install collectd.
But now I want to start from scratch.
Which files and folders should I delete.

sudo apt-get remove rrdtool && sudo apt-get remove collectd

Are there more commands and maps that i should delete ?

YSWG

Thanks for creating the tool, finding it rather useful. I made some changes (some of which are in this very thread) to the image size (for consistency of the layout), removed the space that moved the second row to the right, put in a date watermark, and added space between each image.
Screen Shot 2015-08-30 at 6.30.49 PM.png

But I was starting to forget all the urls (mostly ports) to each client I have (though VRS is running on a Windows Desktop, not the Pi). Only a concept ATM, the tabs I got from JQuery UI but hoping to customise it more but it does work. Also have some ideas on displaying what client is running and isn't (just a non working concept for the moment). Also looking at running the queries (status, start, restart and stop) in a webpage format, so not to having to ssh every time.
Screen Shot 2015-08-30 at 6.16.34 PM.png

Last edited:

Tcheno

Any news on a new version?

I'm running dump1090-mutability v1.15 Dev and finished installing collectd as per the the guide here and it doesn't present any graph besides temp...

Any clues?
Is there anything that need to added/changed on dump1090-mutability config?

My config is as follows:
dump1090 json dir = /var/run/dump1090-mutability/
/etc/collectd/collectd.conf and /home/pi/dump-tools/collectd/collectd.conf altered so hostname is my pi actual pi hostname
/etc/collectd/collectd.conf data folder has 2 folders localhost and smartpi (my pi hostname)
/var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/table-rpi/gauge-cpu_temp.rrd
/var/lib/collectd/rrd/smartpi/table-rpi/gauge-cpu_temp.rrd
/home/pi/dump-tools/collectd/make-graphs.sh altered so hostname is is my pi actual hostname
there are no rrd files under /var/lib/collectd/rrd/smartpi/dump1090-rpi/

Last edited:

jepolch

Hi everyone! It was a long hot summer and I haven't been up on the roof in months. I bought the FlightAware 1090 Mhz filter but haven't installed it yet. Have a few changes to make to the antenna setup soon. Problem today is that I installed a new Pi 2. I copied all the graphing and web data and directory structures from the old Pi to the new one and everything works but one thing. When I click on the SwitchView links at the top of the screen nothing happens. The graphs are being created. This is a new installation of Raspbian Jessie. Should I have installed java or javascript or anything else to make this work?

Attachments

Clips

Hi everyone. Ive tried installing collectd graphs for rpi2 using the following steps:
Code:
sudo apt-get install rrdtool && sudo apt-get install collectd
wget http://raspi.ayadex.com/volatile/web_install.sh
sudo chmod +x web_install.sh
sudo ./web_install.sh "dump-tools"
cd ~/pi/dump-tools
sudo ./install.sh "crontab"
when
Code:
is run, here is a snip of messages that I get:
Code:
5120 (process ID) old priority 0, new priority 5
ERROR: opening '/var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/dump1090-rpi/dump1090_aircraft-recent.rrd': No such file or directory
ERROR: opening '/var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/dump1090-rpi/dump1090_cpu-demod.rrd': No such file or directory
ERROR: opening '/var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/dump1090-rpi/dump1090_tracks-all.rrd': No such file or directory
577x259
ERROR: opening '/var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/dump1090-rpi/dump1090_range-max_range.rrd': No such file or directory
ERROR: opening '/var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/dump1090-rpi/dump1090_messages-local_accepted.rrd': No such file or directory
5129 (process ID) old priority 0, new priority 5
ERROR: opening '/var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/dump1090-rpi/dump1090_aircraft-recent.rrd': No such file or directory
ERROR: opening '/var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/dump1090-rpi/dump1090_cpu-demod.rrd': No such file or directory
ERROR: opening '/var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/dump1090-rpi/dump1090_tracks-all.rrd': No such file or directory
577x259
ERROR: opening '/var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/dump1090-rpi/dump1090_range-max_range.rrd': No such file or directory
ERROR: opening '/var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/dump1090-rpi/dump1090_messages-local_accepted.rrd': No such file or directory
5138 (process ID) old priority 0, new priority 5
577x259
5147 (process ID) old priority 0, new priority 5
577x259
===== Finished creating inital graphs! =====
First part of installation is finished. please check http://<rpi-ip>/collectd and see if you see any graphs.
If that is the case please run sudo ./install.sh "crontab" from the /home/pi/dump-tools diretory to enable automatic graph creation.
I've seen a lot of people posting this error, but have not been able to find a conclusive fix. What am I doing wrong?

Sjacket99

I installed it on a RPi 2 with no issue. I friend of mine installed it on two RPI B's with no issues.. This is some weird stuff.

pgjp6910

Hi everyone. Ive tried installing collectd graphs for rpi2 using the following steps:
Code:
sudo apt-get install rrdtool && sudo apt-get install collectd
wget http://raspi.ayadex.com/volatile/web_install.sh
sudo chmod +x web_install.sh
cd ~/pi/dump-tools
sudo ./install.sh "crontab"
when
Code:
is run, here is a snip of messages that I get:
Code:
5120 (process ID) old priority 0, new priority 5
577x259
5129 (process ID) old priority 0, new priority 5
577x259
5138 (process ID) old priority 0, new priority 5
577x259
5147 (process ID) old priority 0, new priority 5
577x259
===== Finished creating inital graphs! =====
First part of installation is finished. please check http://<rpi-ip>/collectd and see if you see any graphs.
If that is the case please run sudo ./install.sh "crontab" from the /home/pi/dump-tools diretory to enable automatic graph creation.
I've seen a lot of people posting this error, but have not been able to find a conclusive fix. What am I doing wrong?
Hello everybody,
at first, I'd like to thanks to all those good people who made it's working for dump1090, including collectd graphs as the same as the dump program - it's fantastic and superb!

In case of issue with "ERROR: opening '/var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/dump1090-rpi/dump1090_tracks-all.rrd': No such file or directory"
, I solved it fortunately, replacing all "relative" paths, such as "~/..." , by direct location, in all possible solution's scripts (*.sh files): a path "~/dump-tools..." I replaced by "/home/pi/dump-tools/". I had to do this in install.sh, and AFAIR into update.sh, (I am not sure if I had to do this into make-graph.sh) but changed it also into collected.conf.

Plese try also:
sudo hostname localhost
to set hostname to "localhost" while you're installing collectd scripts.

It solved all the troubles concerning "No such file or directory" during generating charts, and I could ran collectd smoothly after that.

best regards
pp

Last edited:

caius

Yes, it's possible to monitor mlat traffic levels using collectd. If you have dump1090-mutability version 1.15, and the the most up to date files from dump1090-tools then collectd will create an rrd for mlat. User jprochazka on the Flightaware forum has made an installation script that can be used to install the required software as well as dump1090 itself and feeding software for planefinder and flightaware. Link: http://discussions.flightaware.com/ads-b-flight-tracking-f21/ads-b-feeder-project-setup-scripts-t36532.html