Web Portal and Collectd/rrd graphs automated installation

bramj

I am using @bramj's mod to view the 1hr graphs, which are very helpful! Thanks! Only one drawback: I'm comparing two Pi's and when looking between the pages at their graphs, the page refreshes before I can get a good look at both pages. Can someone tell me how to slow down the refresh rate to something like 3-5 minutes? Thanks!

Hi Jeploch

change in the index.html <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="60"> the "60" is value in seconds , change "300" for 5 minutes ,

Code:
<html>
    <head>
        <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="300">
        <title> Collectd Dump1090 Graphs</title>
        <script type="text/javascript" src="jquery.js"></script>

jepolch

Hi Jeploch

change in the index.html <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="60"> the "60" is value in seconds , change "300" for 5 minutes ,

Code:
<html>
    <head>
        <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="300">
        <title> Collectd Dump1090 Graphs</title>
        <script type="text/javascript" src="jquery.js"></script>
Thank you! That's exactly what I need. The graphs are great!

xforce30164

I am using @bramj's mod to view the 1hr graphs, which are very helpful! Thanks! Only one drawback: I'm comparing two Pi's and when looking between the pages at their graphs, the page refreshes before I can get a good look at both pages. Can someone tell me how to slow down the refresh rate to something like 3-5 minutes? Thanks!
another more complicated solution would be to actually make the .rrd files available over the network and have a raspberry pi 2/other raspi generate the standard scripts as well as direct-comparison scripts (I.E. a graph which contains the range/message rate/planes received/etc for both receivers in a single graph)

caius

That's pretty easy to do between two pis, or other Linux machines. Just set up an NFS export for the RRD directory, and mount it on the machine running the script.

Alternately you can run collectd on both machines with the network plugin, and have the second pi doing the recording and running the script. I use that setup and it works well.

jepolch

another more complicated solution would be to actually make the .rrd files available over the network and have a raspberry pi 2/other raspi generate the standard scripts as well as direct-comparison scripts (I.E. a graph which contains the range/message rate/planes received/etc for both receivers in a single graph)
Thanks, but that's over my head. I've set the refresh to 5 minutes and that gives me plenty of time to compare them. I really don't need to keep the results, just see them when I make little changes like receiver gain, or add/remove an amp or filter.

jepolch

Earlier today I posted a question in this forum asking what RHS means in the attached graph. After a minute it dawned on me that it stands for right hand side! I felt dumb and deleted the post. But then I thought that this might help somebody else, so I'm posting the graph again. :)

Attachments

• dump1090-rpi-rate-1h.png
    dump1090-rpi-rate-1h.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 45
(Slightly thread-stealing my own thread here but not sure if it is worth it to make a new thread)

Hi all,
I have just installed graphs on my bench test pi2 running mutability.
It took me quite some considerable time to read and digest 130 posts and I still dont know if its 100% correct.
After an hour had passed away, I was losing the will !
There are so many changes 1 & 6 hr add ons and various improvements to the original post #1.
So many cron tasks in the stack.
In the nicest possible way..Some of us are not linux experts, we are aircraft enthusiasts.
In the style of ab cd, can someone make a "dummies guide to" with some code to make life a little easier for the linux newb ?

Its a bit of a shame as I envisage new adsb user will shy away from installing this great station enhancement made by you guys as it will seem too complex and long winded to bother with.
Caiuss suggestion of a Wiki is now becoming more appealing than ever.

As said, fantastic enhancement but scary :confused: for the newb to install or remove if you decide its not for you as I dont think apt-get purge/remove etc will work for this one.

Last edited:

jepolch

I have to agree with @radiostationx on both points, 1) this is a fantastic enhancement to the ads-b feeder and, 2) It takes some work to get it going. I can imagine for the Linux novice it would seem an almost insurmountable challenge. Having said that, @xforce30164 has greatly improved and simplified the process with his web install script, but it's still a work in progress. I know @xforce30164 is busy with school and we should be grateful for all his contributions!

I have to agree with @radiostationx on both points, 1) this is a fantastic enhancement to the ads-b feeder and, 2) It takes some work to get it going. I can imagine for the Linux novice it would seem an almost insurmountable challenge.Yes almost !! Having said that, @xforce30164 has greatly improved and simplified the process with his web install script, but it's still a work in progress. Is there is an easier way than starting at post #1 ? Where is the webscript & How do we get it ? Are there any more inputs needed by the user after getting this script or does it set everything up including 6hr/1hr options in one hit ? I know @xforce30164 is busy with school and we should be grateful for all his contributions! Absolutely Agree 100%.

Last edited:

jepolch

Is there is an easier way than starting at post #1 ? Where is the webscript & How do we get it ?
It's in post #1, read down to Version 2.0:
Code:
cd ~
wget http://raspi.ayadex.com/volatile/web_install.sh
sudo chmod +x web_installer.sh
sudo ./web_installer.sh "dump-tools"
Isn't that the method you used?

I think so, but I nearly was lost as second line did not work.
I used ls to find that the word installer should have been install
Ditto on the 3rd line.

Took me a few times trying and a fair bit of post reading before I noticed it.

jepolch

Ditto on the 3rd line.

I didn't notice that til you pointed it out. Yeah, that's a typo. @xforce30164 gets three lashes with a wet noodle! :p

xforce30164

Im sorry guys! I was thinking aboutthe wiki idea as well. should make it easier to find the different things you can change. Im currently away from bome so bavent been able to codeor anything. but Im planning on making a new post,either here or on my.blog with clean installation instructions.

in addition to that, most suggestions made here Ill be adding to the base code. furthermore Im planning on making a configuration script that will ask for user input and suggest default values for graph configurstion. this should make it a lot easier to use the graphs and enable/nodify/disable certain graphs!

ab cd

Ditto on the 3rd line.

When I first tried, I also got stuck at 2nd & 3rd lines, but quickly realized it is a typo, and used install instead of installer, and all went smooth :D